Fishing/Value ins age of a south bend 59-9

Question
Bag
Bag  

Logo
Logo  
What is the approximate value and age of this rod, I emailed you some pics at , and will attach a couple here. Thank you in advance

Answer
Angelo,
South Bend rod model numbers are a bit confusing, but there is logic to the system. Each rod was made in three actions; Wet Fly or Trout Action, Bass Action, and Dry Fly Action. The model number designates the rod's grade, or quality and the series number represents the type of action. For example, #159 is Trout Action, #59 is Bass Action, and #359 is Dry Fly Action. All of these Model 59 rods have the same wraps, hardware and other specifications -only the taper is different.  This is according to Bamboo Rod Restoration Handbook   by Michael Sinclair and I have cast enough SB to confirm it also. So your is a slower action heavier bass fly rod.

Price Book:
Antique & Collectible  Fishing Rods: Identification & Value Guide Homel, Dan. 1997 (2nd edition 2000# add about 30% for age of book.

Age  The Comficent thumb rest started in 1939 , the last run was 1951.The square label is post WWII. So 1946 to 1951

Before I quote the price, let me say most people over evaluate their bamboo fly rods. Everyone thinks their rods are in excellent condition, very few are right.
From the pictures, I really can't tell important information. I.e.  are the 4 sections the same length?
The thread above the handle and below the model number, 59-9 is in poor condition as it appears to have lost finish. The Comficent  thumb rest was gold leaf, yours is poor condition in image.jpeg.The yellow thread is not original and appears to have no finish. One tip top #guide on top) is vintage, the other, not.

Homel gives the South Bend Model #59 fly rod 81/2f c.1950, 3 sections and extra tip , the  value of  $35, 90 and $165 for poor, good, excellent condition respectively. Bottom line maybe $55. Restored, $200.

Luck,
Mac
Please provide feedback, nominations are appreciated.

Fishing

Rich Mac McGaughey