Fishing/Fly Rod

Question
Bamboo Rod
Bamboo Rod  
I have a 6 sided bamboo fly rod with this on a stiker near tha cork handle, "Ace Brand Jack Tonny Japan". Would like any and all info. you could supply me about this rod.

Answer
Hello David,

Forgive me. I spent a number of consecutive days at work and was unable to answer any questions which got me booted and your question thrown to the "pool".

The reason you are unable to find any information on this rod is due to its origin; Post WWII Japan. While it the photo you included leads me to believe you have a very nice specimen, virtually all of the split cane (bamboo) fly rods out of Japan were mass produced and carefully packaged in attractive wooden cases for G.I's and the tourist trade from the early 1950's through the early 1970's. "Ace" was a common trade name for many companies to signify their product was superior or better than others.

I really thought I would get lucky with the Jack Tonny name and be able to come up with a nice history for your rod but no such luck.

If she is in as good-a-shape as she looks, without delamination or warpage, you may have a fun little fly rod to fish with.

These imports are rarely collectible and are readily available for bargain prices so I would recommend taking her to your nearest fly shop and have them match up a proper line and reel for the rod and take it out fishing...

I am keeping a copy of your information and will try to update you and this question should I find any additional information for you.

Thanks for the question,

Get out and catch a few...

Mark

Fishing

Mark Rimmer