Fishing/old rod

Question
I inherited several rods and reels. One I have never seen anything like it before.

It is 4 foot 8 inches. Two piece with the rod being pushed into the handle. It is steel and square. On the inside of the handle(where the reel fastens) it says       MFG. BY
         The American Fork & Hoe Co.
         Geneva, Ohio

On the outside of the reel holder it says,   "SPEEDLOCK"
         Pat No  1534674

On the bottom portion of the square rod there is a small box with a plus sign inside.  I cannot see any other markings.

Answer
Mike,
AF & Hoe was formed in 1902 from a group of various companies then changed names to True Temper in 1949. Your rod predates the name change - would estimate it to be as early as 1930s.

I have seen several steel , telescopic fishing rods. There doesn't seem to be a market, no one is collecting them. They are too heavy to fish. Value is low, under $50 - I have sold a few to restaurants to hang on walls.

Price Book:
Antique & Collectible  Fishing Rods: Identification & Value Guide Homel, Dan. 1997 (2nd edition 2000# add about 30% for age of book.

Homel gives the Bristol - Horton MFG. model Antique steel fly rod 8 1/2' #3/1) c.1905 with an extra tip, 3 sections the  value of  $9, 28, and $50 for poor, good, excellent condition respectively.
I am assuming it is 3 pieces but even if it is one or more pieces or telescoping, the estimate is very close.

Luck,
Mac

Please provide feedback, nominations are appreciated.  

Fishing

Rich Mac McGaughey