Fishing/Orvis fly rod

Question
Question

Orvis Battenkill ,  Ser.  #33826
I have an Orvis Battenkill Impregnated Fly Rod.
It is 7'1/2 2 piece with and extra tip(3 piece total).
style  "99"
I have the original tube and sock.
The green,white and black label on the tube is a bit worn and hard to read in spots.
Line test tells me HCH 7 (on the tube label).
I can't quit read what the size and weight the rod is, I think 41/2 weight
Can you please also tell me when the rod was made, what it may be worthand where to sale it.  All eyes and ferrules are in good shape as is the reel seat. The tips are both original and all 3 pieces are the same length.

Thank you very much for any help
MP

Answer
Mike,
Yes your  rod is 4.5 ounces.

Your rod was made by a very reputable company called Orvis - in business since before the Civil War. They are still in business and you can read about their bamboo rods at:
http://www.orvis.com/intro.aspx?dir_id=758&subject=447

Price book: Antique & Collectable Fishing Rods: Identification & Value Guide Homel, Dan. 1997 (2nd edition 2000) add about 30% for age of book.

Homel gives the 7 1/2 foot Battenkill fly rod 6 1/2',  2 sections with an extra tip,  150, 300, and 750  for poor, good, and excellent condition respectively.

I have a database from the Internet that has been confirmed by phone calls to Orvis and my experience. The serial number should be on the rod. You were not specific as whether the number was on the rod or the tube.

Your serial number 33826 is not in the database, but that is usually the case even though there are thousands of rods in this list. Most of the 7 1/2' Battenkill rods were built from 1950 to 1956 by George Reid, Cal Skinner and / or John Rosencrantz.

If you call Orvis 888-235-9763, they have a non digital , paper source with more complete serial numbers.  If you ask for a value they will put you off to professional evaluators but if you ask for age and maker, then you will get some help. Batenkill is your model name. The database contains the following headings number date style length ounces pieces and notes #maker, type tube etc#

Regarding condition, I would like to share my experience with you , almost all the people who ask me about fly rods on this web site and have a maker, tell me their rods are in excellent , mint and even un used condition, very few are correct. I am sure people are being mostly honest , I believe it is a lack of experience , I mean how many brand new bamboo fly rods have you seen?

Condition is not guessing or subjective. I recommend finding Homel at the library and seeing his complete set of criteria for various conditions.

I might be interested in selling it , send pictures to macsrods@yahoo.com - not blurry both details and whole rod.

Otherwise, ebay is not a bad way to go selling it.
Luck,
Mac

Please provide feedback, nominations are appreciated.  

Fishing

Rich Mac McGaughey