Fishing/Panfishing Northern WI

Hi Marc - My Dad's been fishing the same lake in Northern Wisconsin for the better part of 40 years and never catches them the way he "used to". What can I suggest to help him catch a few more fish this year. What's the setup he needs to use instead to increase his catch of keeper panfish or the bass I know are all over his lake. What should he use for lures or bait, size hooks, etc? What should I tell him to look for in spots to try? Thanks

Hey Tom....

First I would recommend a lake like Little St.Germain.  Good water!

He may never catch them like he used to.  Fisheries change... without a doubt.  More pressure, water clarities have changed, the overall biomass is different on many lakes.

For bigger panfish, get out of the shallows.  Deeper weed edges are the place to be for the bigger fish.  The shallows are full of juveniles.  

For Perch and Crappies, go with the crappie minnows.  For gills, waxworms or panfish leeches.  Keep it simple.  A #6 or #8 gold hook and a small split shot about 8-10" above the hook.  NO other terminal tackle on the line. Four pound test maximum.  Move around and drift till you find them, THEN anchor.  

For Bass, wacky worms, without a doubt my first choice.  Fish them around docks, weeds and deep weed lines.  Or, to cover water, a 3/8th ounce spinnerbait, a Deep T-Stick Jr., or #7 Shad Rap.  

If he does that he will catch fish!

Marc Wisniewski

I can answer questions relating to all types of freshwater fishing, tackle, and tactics. I also can answer questions regarding rod building, lure making, and lure modification. I am not an expert at the value of old rods, reels, or lures.

My expertise is in Bass, Pike, Musky and the Great Lakes species. I have a lot of experience in Wisconsin and Lake Michigan in particular. With regard to Rod building, I have built custom rods since 1978. I have been building and designing lures for 35 years. I currently sell several of my lures both locally and nation wide. I have done work for several lure companies such as Mepps, Storm, Cisco Kid, and Suick. I am not an expert at the value of old rods, reels, or lures.

Wisconsin DNR Lake Michigan Forum (elected position). Friends of Lakeshore State Park, Milwaukee, WI

Two monthly columns in Midwest Outdoors Magazine, Writer of the weekly Lake Michigan Fishing Report in the Milwaukee Journal/Sentinel, The In-Fisherman Magazine(since 1986), Musky Hunter Magazine, The Badger Sportsman, Woods and Waters Magazine, The Mepps Fishing Guide, Do-It Molds website, and I have been a guest on WGN Radio (Chicago) on their Saturday Outdoor program.

I have an engineering background.