Fishing/True Temper Steel Rod

I have come across a True Temper (The American Fork & Hoe Co.)Steel rod with a Patent Number of #2102237 with the word "Speedlock" above the Pat.number.  Any idea how old this rod might be, and any dollar amount?

Hi Brian,

I am not the old tackle expert on this site.  You may want to run this past Rich McGaughey or Joe Douglas.  The rod is probably from somewhere in the late 20's to the 1950's with post war 40's or early 50's most likely.  They never fetch much on e-Bay, probably $20-$40 in good condition.  Mint maybe $50.  Its a great piece of history but there were many sold so they aren't worth a lot of money.

Good Luck,

Marc Wisniewski

I can answer questions relating to all types of freshwater fishing, tackle, and tactics. I also can answer questions regarding rod building, lure making, and lure modification. I am not an expert at the value of old rods, reels, or lures.

My expertise is in Bass, Pike, Musky and the Great Lakes species. I have a lot of experience in Wisconsin and Lake Michigan in particular. With regard to Rod building, I have built custom rods since 1978. I have been building and designing lures for 35 years. I currently sell several of my lures both locally and nation wide. I have done work for several lure companies such as Mepps, Storm, Cisco Kid, and Suick. I am not an expert at the value of old rods, reels, or lures.

Wisconsin DNR Lake Michigan Forum (elected position). Friends of Lakeshore State Park, Milwaukee, WI

Two monthly columns in Midwest Outdoors Magazine, Writer of the weekly Lake Michigan Fishing Report in the Milwaukee Journal/Sentinel, The In-Fisherman Magazine(since 1986), Musky Hunter Magazine, The Badger Sportsman, Woods and Waters Magazine, The Mepps Fishing Guide, Do-It Molds website, and I have been a guest on WGN Radio (Chicago) on their Saturday Outdoor program.

I have an engineering background.