Fishing/Value and info on Orvis bamboo fly rod

Question
Hello Rich,
I have an Orvis Battenkill deluxe 6 1/2 foot impregnated fly rod,2 pc. 11. that was given to my Dad by his uncle many years ago. Our uncle loved to buy fishing and hunting equipment and never use them. This bamboo rod has honestly never been fished with. It came in a black aluminum tube. The weight is 2 oz., has two tips,a plaid cotton sleeve with a tie wrap, and a green and white label on the tube. Serial # 19049. I have been trying to find it online, but had no luck.I would appreciate any info you could provide. Let me know if you need anything else from me.
Sincerely, Mark DelMastro

Answer
Mark,

Your rod was made by a very reputable company called Orvis - in business since before the Civil War. They are still in business and you can read about their bamboo rods at:
http://www.orvis.com/intro.aspx?dir_id=758&subject=447

Price book: Antique & Collectable Fishing Rods: Identification & Value Guide Homel, Dan. 1997 (2nd edition 2000) add about 30% for age of book.

Homel gives the 6 1/2 foot Battenkill fly rod 6 1/2',  2 sections with an extra tip,  150, 325, and 600 for poor, good, and excellent condition respectively. I bet I could get at least 750 for it.

I have a database from the Internet that has been confirmed by phone calls to Orvis and my experience. 19049 should be on the rod or my details are wrong. You were not specific as to the information on the rod or the tube.

number   date   style         length   ounces   pieces   notes
19049   4/11/56   Deluxe - 11/64 ferrules   6 1/2   2   2   Built by George Reid and Cal Skinner   

If you call Orvis 888-235-9763, they have a non digital , paper source with more complete serial numbers.  If you ask for a value they will put you off to professional evaluators but if you ask for age and maker, then you will get some help. Batenkill is your model name. But we have that information from the database , so calling would only be a confirmation.

Never been used means the  cork handles are very clean looking , blond maybe but not dark from human handling. I would like to share my experience with you , almost all the people who ask me about fly rods on this web site and have a maker, tell me their rods are in excellent , mint and even un used condition, very few are correct. I am sure people are being mostly honest , I believe it is a lack of experience , I mean how many brand new bamboo fly rods have you seen?

Condition is not guessing or subjective. I recommend finding Homel at the library and seeing his complete set of criteria for various conditions.

Luck,
Mac

Please provide feedback, nominations are appreciated.  

Fishing

Rich Mac McGaughey