Fishing/fly rod appraisal

I have a phillipson pacemaker bamboo rod #38 with  the extra tip the soft case and the tube all in new condition. Extremely well kept. Can u give me more info and a price for it please. Thank you very much for ur time and expertise. I look foward to ur response.

I am assuming that you rod has flat sides not round , is bamboo not fiberglass. If that is wrong, then everything after this, is equally wrong.
I have never heard of a Phillipson #38, precisely where are you seeing this number?

Length of rod and even lengths of all sections is as import as condition as to value of rod, so any value I give is a guess / ball park figure.

Price Book:
Antique & Collectable Fishing Rods: Identification & Value Guide Homel, Dan. 1997 (2nd edition 2000) add about 30% for age of book

Homel gives the Phillipson 8.5 model Pacemaker with an extra tip, 3 sections a value of  $75, 175 and $315 for poor, good, excellent condition respectively.

History of Phillipson Rod Co:
Pretty sure your rod is in good condition but check Homel at your local library.

I have seen over a hundred Heddons.
I like to be honest with folks so don't take this as criticism or judgement. Almost everyone says their rod is in excellent condition, mint or unused. It's rare that they are accurate.

Please provide feedback, nominations are appreciated.  

Rich Mac McGaughey

I can answer questions on graphite fly rod building and bamboo rod restoration and making. I can guide people to restorers . I can guide people to rod building components on the internet as well as catalog. I can help them identify and value their bamboo fly rods with a picture .

If you are asking for the id of an old rod

please give a complete description send pictures especially labels or logos with detailed thorough description** to me and a complete including as much the following as you can: Is it? fly or casting rod ? Reel seat is below or above the cork handle ? Check metal for id and patents ? What is it made of; bamboo ( flat sided) fiberglass or graphite ( round)? Weight in oz? What is the diameter of the rod above the cork? Where was it purchased ? What type of metal nickel-silver, tin, or chrome platted brass? A complete description of any logos or labels. Length of rod per section and number of sections. Total rod length.

Please read the following if the rod has either of the following two labels

Montague or H-I (Horrocks-Ibbotson).

They are looked down upon by the collecting community and often they are justified. They were mass produced , rather heavy and very slow. They are not going to resale for very much.

Two books are available at larger libraries to get history and or value:
Antique & Collectable Fishing Rods: Identification & Value Guide Homel, Dan. 1997
Bamboo Rod Restoration Handbook -Michael Sinclair

Commission Sales

Because of my knowledge I can help you sell and get a good price for your vintage bamboo fly rod. email email Mac

I have been restoring bamboo fly rods for 15 years and making graphite for 17 .

website = click home page

**example of a thorough description of a label: The Shakespeare decal is olive green ovals with gold foil banner bearing the word "Shakespeare" in script. The remainder of the of the lettering is block style reading on top Honor Built and on the bottom of oval , Made in USA. The writing is away from the grip.