Fishing/heddon #17 2 3/4 9 feet g b g or c

this is a bamboo fly for singed across left to right heddon has  case and a blue holder that has the same marks.i noticed that you did say they came in 9 ft .This looks like new but the holder is dated and wanted to know the value because i found it in my dads things and he passed 12 years ago and never fished and it had a retail price on the blue silk bag of $25.00 . also he had another one that is marked Sloem's favorite bass with four parts also and in metal container but they could be mixed up.
I wanted to see what the value is since you said they didn't come in 9 ft.They are both 4 piece and 9 ft.I can send you photos if needed

Value depends on condition and length, as well as maker and model.

I am assuming your rod has flat nor round sides, is bamboo not fiberglass. If not then the following is equally wrong. Also I am assuming the reel seat is below the handle not above, is fly not spin rod.

Heddon made a decent rod - medium resale values and quality. I sold several unused ones for 300-500 3 years ago.

If Heddon is written across the flats than the dates are 1939 to 1950 , if the model name and Heddon  is written on a single flat and has model name “Black Beauty” then it is 1951 or greater. (Bamboo Rod Restoration Handbook   by Michael Sinclair)

Price Book:
Antique & Collectible  Fishing Rods: Identification & Value Guide by Homel, Dan. 1997 (2nd edition 2000) add about 30% for age of book.
Homel gives the Heddon #17 "Black Beauty" fly rod 8 1 /2'  with an extra tip, 3 sections the  value of  $75, 165 and $300 for poor, good, and excellent condition respectively.
Your message is unclear but let’s assume your rod is nine foot so values are going to be a little bit less.
I have mentioned that Homel doesn’t mention a 9 footer but Sinclair in Heddon The Rod With The Fighting Heart dates the 9 footer from 1931 until 1956.

History  of Heddon Rod Company
with permission of the author  Michael Sinclair

I recommend you put both rods together and make sure you have all the parts. The Heddon could be 2 sections , but more likely 3 sections with an extra tip.

The butt ferrule size is designated by "2F" or "2 ˝ F". The larger the number, the stiffer the rod. For three- piece rods, a 2F is usually a trout rod and 2 ˝ F is a bass rod. "GBG or C" is a 8 WT rod. It's a big heavy stout model, not as popular as other sizes.

Never heard of Sloem's favorite bass , nor is it in my books so odds are good that collectors will have no interest and you will find little to no history on it,
Please provide feedback, nominations are appreciated.  

Rich Mac McGaughey

I can answer questions on graphite fly rod building and bamboo rod restoration and making. I can guide people to restorers . I can guide people to rod building components on the internet as well as catalog. I can help them identify and value their bamboo fly rods with a picture .

If you are asking for the id of an old rod

please give a complete description send pictures especially labels or logos with detailed thorough description** to me and a complete including as much the following as you can: Is it? fly or casting rod ? Reel seat is below or above the cork handle ? Check metal for id and patents ? What is it made of; bamboo ( flat sided) fiberglass or graphite ( round)? Weight in oz? What is the diameter of the rod above the cork? Where was it purchased ? What type of metal nickel-silver, tin, or chrome platted brass? A complete description of any logos or labels. Length of rod per section and number of sections. Total rod length.

Please read the following if the rod has either of the following two labels

Montague or H-I (Horrocks-Ibbotson).

They are looked down upon by the collecting community and often they are justified. They were mass produced , rather heavy and very slow. They are not going to resale for very much.

Two books are available at larger libraries to get history and or value:
Antique & Collectable Fishing Rods: Identification & Value Guide Homel, Dan. 1997
Bamboo Rod Restoration Handbook -Michael Sinclair

Commission Sales

Because of my knowledge I can help you sell and get a good price for your vintage bamboo fly rod. email email Mac

I have been restoring bamboo fly rods for 15 years and making graphite for 17 .

website = click home page

**example of a thorough description of a label: The Shakespeare decal is olive green ovals with gold foil banner bearing the word "Shakespeare" in script. The remainder of the of the lettering is block style reading on top Honor Built and on the bottom of oval , Made in USA. The writing is away from the grip.