Fishing/Heddon Fly Rod

Question
I've got a Heddon tempered split bamboo 3 piece fly rod with the following seemingly hand-written on it: #20, 8 1/2', 1 3/4 F, HDH or E, Bill Stanley's favorite, and Heddon.  Original burgundy colored cloth sleeve, cork handle and what appears to be a reddish-brown phenolic real seat.  Steel case has James Heddon on it as well.  Passed down three generations, very good condition.  I've got a couple of questions; a) Curious as to when it was made, b)a guestimate of the the potential value because the finish needs some work and it would be nice to know if it's worth it. and c)what weight does this compare to these days?

Answer
Hi Jim,

Its probably from the mid 40's to the early 50's.  Its probably worth between $100-$200 depending on condition.

F is a 4 weight level line, E is a 5 weight level line, and HDH is a 6 weight DT line.  So I would say that it will cast something in the 5 wt class well.

This all said, I am not the expert in this subject.  Please forward this to Joe Douglas or Rich McGaughey on this site.  They will have more information.  Attach a photo if you can.  The wrappings will allow them to narrow down the dates better.  

Thanks,

Marc

Fishing

Marc Wisniewski