Fishing/Heddon Fly Rod

I've got a Heddon tempered split bamboo 3 piece fly rod with the following seemingly hand-written on it: #20, 8 1/2', 1 3/4 F, HDH or E, Bill Stanley's favorite, and Heddon.  Original burgundy colored cloth sleeve, cork handle and what appears to be a reddish-brown phenolic real seat.  Steel case has James Heddon on it as well.  Passed down three generations, very good condition.  I've got a couple of questions; a) Curious as to when it was made, b)a guestimate of the the potential value because the finish needs some work and it would be nice to know if it's worth it. and c)what weight does this compare to these days?

Hi Jim,

Its probably from the mid 40's to the early 50's.  Its probably worth between $100-$200 depending on condition.

F is a 4 weight level line, E is a 5 weight level line, and HDH is a 6 weight DT line.  So I would say that it will cast something in the 5 wt class well.

This all said, I am not the expert in this subject.  Please forward this to Joe Douglas or Rich McGaughey on this site.  They will have more information.  Attach a photo if you can.  The wrappings will allow them to narrow down the dates better.  

Marc Wisniewski

I can answer questions relating to all types of freshwater fishing, tackle, and tactics. I also can answer questions regarding rod building, lure making, and lure modification. I am not an expert at the value of old rods, reels, or lures.

My expertise is in Bass, Pike, Musky and the Great Lakes species. I have a lot of experience in Wisconsin and Lake Michigan in particular. With regard to Rod building, I have built custom rods since 1978. I have been building and designing lures for 35 years. I currently sell several of my lures both locally and nation wide. I have done work for several lure companies such as Mepps, Storm, Cisco Kid, and Suick. I am not an expert at the value of old rods, reels, or lures.

Wisconsin DNR Lake Michigan Forum (elected position). Friends of Lakeshore State Park, Milwaukee, WI

Two monthly columns in Midwest Outdoors Magazine, Writer of the weekly Lake Michigan Fishing Report in the Milwaukee Journal/Sentinel, The In-Fisherman Magazine(since 1986), Musky Hunter Magazine, The Badger Sportsman, Woods and Waters Magazine, The Mepps Fishing Guide, Do-It Molds website, and I have been a guest on WGN Radio (Chicago) on their Saturday Outdoor program.

I have an engineering background.