Fishing/Horrocks Ibbotson rod

I have been trying to find information on a Horrocks Ibbotson rod that was used by my father infishing for Landlock Salmon on Canada in the 1920's. The rod is made of split bamboo and has a Pflueger Monarch reel with braided copper line. The rod is only about 42" long overall and has an oversize handle about half way up it's shaft. I would appreciate any information you can give me as my father never said much about the rod when he was alive. Thank you. John

Hello Mr. Hartter,

The rod you are describing by H-I sounds like one I restored a number of years ago. While I have never been able to find a reference for the style, I believe this design was produced for trolling and drift fishing as a "boat" rod. The restoration I did had no decals or discernible writing on it to indicate the model. Perhaps yours does? The rod was split cane, the seat was German silver and the grip was turned hickory. The rod did have some unique features: a ferrule near the grip and two opposing guides on the rod shaft with a unique tip. This rod was designed to rotate after each use and as it began to take a "set" so the rod would stay straight. By the design features, I believe this rod was pre-WWII.

What type of reel seat does yours appear to have? Is it chromed? Is brass showing through the finish? Is there any plastic in the reel seat? What does it look like? Is it a solid color or Marbled?

Without further detail or perhaps a nice set of .jpeg images, I will only be able to speculate the type and will likely not be able to I.D. the model. If you would like to, please forward some pics to help with the I.D. Any clear, well lit images of the entire rod, the butt ahead of the grip and the guides will help...Any labels or decals will be invaluable.

Try to look closely for any trace of these labels or decals or perhaps even ink or white, that might be on the rod.

With a bit more information, I would be happy to research your rod using some of my references.

Thanks for the question. Please send along some pics...

Mark Rimmer

I have been actively fishing for forty-five years! For nearly 15 of those years I was able to fish nearly 200 days per year. Those wonderful days have left me with a plethora of knowledge to share. I have fished from the Marianas of the Pacific to the quiet tidewaters of Virginia and North Carolina, Antigua the gulf coast of Texas and many places in between. My home waters are those of the west. I am passionate about bass fishing, tournament as well as recreational. In addition, I am well versed in fishing for most other species...(Okay, although interesting, I'm not an expert on British or European style competitive carp fishing...chumming with a slingshot anyone?). I am intimately acquainted with the San Diego County Lakes, Diamond Valley reservoir in Riverside County California and numerous other exciting fishing waters from Texas (Travis County) to the Pacific Coast and south to Cabo San Lucas. I have many years of experience in blue-water as well as inshore angling of all types in Southern California with both artificial and live baits; high country fishing in the Sierra Nevada Mountains of my beloved Golden State with nothing but a backpack and a fly-rod. There are still a lifetime of adventures to undertake, together with my lovely wife, Christine. I am an expert rod smith and have vast experience with both the construction and repair all types of rods including split bamboo (new or vintage) and hickory as well as graphite, boron composites and all types of fiberglass. I spent 20 years in the retail business of which 6 were spent owning and operating a successful tackle shop, specializing in custom rod making, rod and reel repairs and a full scale tackle selection. Uncommon topics I love to discuss: Fisheries Management; Tackle Shop/ retail management; Ethics and responsibilities of anglers; Repair and maintenance of rods/reels; "How to"...any topic in fishing.

I took a few years off,(5 to be exact) from answering questions for but I'm back now! My experience? Forty-Five years of bio-observation, fishing numerous types of waters with virtually every type of tackle: Casting, Fly, Spinning, Offshore/blue-water, Coastal, Surf, Tournaments: ( Bass, Local Saltwater), Alpine lakes/streams, ditches, canals, sloughs, marshes, creeks and swamps; if there is water, I usually throw a cast or two. Tackle Shop ownership and management, Expert Custom Rod Construction and repair (Big-game, Long-range stand-up, Live bait, jig sticks, Casting, Spinning and fly- including split-cane). I have personally constructed over 700 custom rods of all types...nearly half of the rods the shop turned out. I also have performed hundreds of reel repairs of all types- antique to modern. I do not typically offer valuation of tackle. This is very difficult without inspecting the tackle first hand and leaving valuation far to subjective. I will be happy to offer other experts for placing a value on your tackle.

NRA forever...(Gun rights...Guns and fishing rods belong together right?), belonged to BASS for most of my life but keep forgetting to renew. I like Trout Unlimited but again, keep forgetting to renew...gotta more tank of gas and some fresh line...or memberships? Hmmm.

None yet...why aren't they chasing me?

"Roads" Scholar. Life-long independent study of fisheries biology, ichthyology, aquatic/marine biology, ecosystems, angling techniques and observations of animals, fish and humans: both smart guys and knuckleheads.

Self-Proclaimed tackleshop of the year! The California Tackle Box- Oceanside, Ca.

Thousands served!