Fishing/Please identify/appraise 3 vintage rods 4 me?

Hi Rich, I am glad to have come across his site! Thank you for your time and expertise!

I have three vintage rods I was given in the early 1980s, and was wondering if I should still be using them or hanging on to them because they are beautiful, or trying to sell them to someone who would really take care of them.

First is the fly-fishing rod. I understand from reading on this site that "kingfisher" b itself means little as many were called that. The measurement of the three sections is 33.5"-34.5" I hope you can determine more form my terrible photos. Sorry.

The second is also bamboo and has the signature "Heddon" and "#1 1/2" by the handle. The base is about 26" and the tip is 35". "Heddon made in USA patent 1624052" is inscribed in the metal of the handle. Metal cap on handle missing.

The third I could send a pic of separately, but will just try to describe for now: cork handle, metal 2-piece,58" assembled, painted black, "number 00" inscribed in metal of handle.

If it is a bamboo fly rod not made by Montage or Horrocks-Ibbotson, then it is worth looking at for resale value.
The Heddon is a casting rod.
The Kingfisher was probably made by Montague.
The third you did not tell me if the reel seat is above or below the handle but the length indicates a spin rod.
My advice is fish them, but dry after use
You can read more about who built your rods in:

Price Book:
Antique & Collectible  Fishing Rods: Identification & Value Guide by Homel, Dan. 1997 (2nd edition 2000)
add about 30% for age of book.

Bamboo Rod Restoration Handbook   by Michael Sinclair

Classic & Antique Fly-Fishing Tackle: A Guide for Collectors & Anglers by A.J. Campbell

Please provide feedback, nominations are appreciated.

Rich Mac McGaughey

I can answer questions on graphite fly rod building and bamboo rod restoration and making. I can guide people to restorers . I can guide people to rod building components on the internet as well as catalog. I can help them identify and value their bamboo fly rods with a picture .

If you are asking for the id of an old rod

please give a complete description send pictures especially labels or logos with detailed thorough description** to me and a complete including as much the following as you can: Is it? fly or casting rod ? Reel seat is below or above the cork handle ? Check metal for id and patents ? What is it made of; bamboo ( flat sided) fiberglass or graphite ( round)? Weight in oz? What is the diameter of the rod above the cork? Where was it purchased ? What type of metal nickel-silver, tin, or chrome platted brass? A complete description of any logos or labels. Length of rod per section and number of sections. Total rod length.

Please read the following if the rod has either of the following two labels

Montague or H-I (Horrocks-Ibbotson).

They are looked down upon by the collecting community and often they are justified. They were mass produced , rather heavy and very slow. They are not going to resale for very much.

Two books are available at larger libraries to get history and or value:
Antique & Collectable Fishing Rods: Identification & Value Guide Homel, Dan. 1997
Bamboo Rod Restoration Handbook -Michael Sinclair

Commission Sales

Because of my knowledge I can help you sell and get a good price for your vintage bamboo fly rod. email email Mac

I have been restoring bamboo fly rods for 15 years and making graphite for 17 .

website = click home page

**example of a thorough description of a label: The Shakespeare decal is olive green ovals with gold foil banner bearing the word "Shakespeare" in script. The remainder of the of the lettering is block style reading on top Honor Built and on the bottom of oval , Made in USA. The writing is away from the grip.