Fishing/shakesphear bamboo fly rod no1358x

Question
This rod is in fair to good used condition. What would the value be on this rod?

Answer
Ron,
Price Book:
Antique & Collectible  Fishing Rods: Identification & Value Guide Homel, Dan. 1997 (2nd edition 2000) add about 30% for age of book.
The model 1358 was called the Service by Shakespeare (not Shakespear).  It came originally with two tip sections.  If you don't have the second tip the value will be considerably less.  According to A. J. Campbell's Classic & Antique Fly Fishing Tackle, and Michael Sinclair's Bamboo Rod restoration Handbook, early Shakespeare bamboo rods were probably produced by Montague (Ideal rods 1924-1926#, the "B" models were produced by Heddon and Montague #1926-1934#, and the later models were produced by South Bend, Heddon and Montague #1935-WW II), after WW II only rods made by South Bend were offered by Shakespeare.  Thanks to the work of these gentlemen, we know a great deal more than we would trying to figure this out on our own.

The model 1358  appeared in the lineup in 1942 and was near the low end and sold for $6.50 when new. Shakespeare never made the rods just put labels on them. Never the less with the loss of Chinese bamboo in 1950 , Shakespeare  like most major rod builders discontinued this product by 1952.

You did not offer many specifics; like length of total and sections, number of sections, bag and sock. This rod is similar to the model 1358:
Homel gives the Shakespeare 9' fly rod model 1362 with an extra tip, 3 sections the  value of  $20, $65, and $115 for poor, good, and excellent condition respectively. Check ebay but maybe 40-50.

Shakespeare bamboo rods form this time period are generally considered entry level collector rods and are not highly valued, but they do have collector value. You may wish to keep the rod as is for the future, or you may wish to use the rod.  I don't think the collector value is going to skyrocket on these anytime soon so using it would be fine.  Make sure the wraps are good and the ferrules fit snug and the glue holding them to the shaft is still solid before using it.  Otherwise, it will probably be fun to fish with.

Luck,
Mac

Please provide feedback, nominations are appreciated.

Fishing

Rich Mac McGaughey