Fishing/information on a rod

Question
Hello
I have obtained a bamboo 9" 6 two piece Hardy fly fishing rod in bamboo..it belonged to my partners father who passed away .the serial number on it is H16242. The Perfection Palakone. If you can provide any other information on the age and value/ historyo
F the rod i would be grateful. I intend to use the rod as i am a keen fly fisherman. Also if you could suggest a suitable reel and compatable fly lines. The value will be useful for insurance purposes.

Answer
Mike,
I have a Hardy database , from on line but also verified over the years.
It says the serial number of your rod was made in 1958.
I think you mean Palakona, not Palakone, right ?
A 9.5 foot  like that is going to be at least 6 weight bit more likely 8.

The Palakona was mostly made in the 70s, according to Homel, listed below.

Books:Antique & Collectable Fishing Rods: Identification & Value Guide Homel, Dan. 1997 (2nd edition 2000) add about 30% for age of book

Homel gives the Hardy 8.5  model Palakona  fly rod with an extra tip, 2 sections the  value of  $80, 160 and $275 for poor, good, excellent condition respectively.

It is an English rod and off my beaten path out here in the western USA. But the cash value is like the numbers given above.

Hardy is still alive and well in Alnwick,England. You might try them.
http://www.hardyfishing.com/en-gb/home/
You can look up dealers in many US states and many other countries.
I recommend a large arbor 8 weight reel. Check with your local sporting goods store.  
Luck,
Mac

Please provide feedback, nominations are appreciated.  

Fishing

Rich Mac McGaughey