Fishing/Martin model # 65 reel and #2 rod

I found a fly rod and reel that belonged to my father. Martin Reel # 65 and Rod # 2 . I think it is fiberglass. I only have the bottom half of the rod but the reel is intact. Is this worth refurbishing or is it a wall hanger? Thanks  Ron

Hi Ron,

The Martin #65 was an entry-level type reel.  I'm sure it is still useable if you wanted to put it on a new rod.  They aren't sought after by collectors and sell for $10-$30 on e-Bay.  It would be great on a mantel along side a picture of your father and a great trout or bass he caught with it.  The reel isn't worth much but the memories are priceless!

Good fishing...

Marc Wisniewski

I can answer questions relating to all types of freshwater fishing, tackle, and tactics. I also can answer questions regarding rod building, lure making, and lure modification. I am not an expert at the value of old rods, reels, or lures.

My expertise is in Bass, Pike, Musky and the Great Lakes species. I have a lot of experience in Wisconsin and Lake Michigan in particular. With regard to Rod building, I have built custom rods since 1978. I have been building and designing lures for 35 years. I currently sell several of my lures both locally and nation wide. I have done work for several lure companies such as Mepps, Storm, Cisco Kid, and Suick. I am not an expert at the value of old rods, reels, or lures.

Wisconsin DNR Lake Michigan Forum (elected position). Friends of Lakeshore State Park, Milwaukee, WI

Two monthly columns in Midwest Outdoors Magazine, Writer of the weekly Lake Michigan Fishing Report in the Milwaukee Journal/Sentinel, The In-Fisherman Magazine(since 1986), Musky Hunter Magazine, The Badger Sportsman, Woods and Waters Magazine, The Mepps Fishing Guide, Do-It Molds website, and I have been a guest on WGN Radio (Chicago) on their Saturday Outdoor program.

I have an engineering background.