Fishing/8' Phillipson Peerless Impregnated

Question
Markings
Markings  

Sections
Sections  
Hi Mac!

I have an 8', 3/2 Phillipson Peerless Impregnated cane rod, which I purchased from South Creek Ltd in Feb. 2011. I'm currently unemployed and need to sell, so I'm hoping you can help me determine the current value. I don't know the actual weight in ounces, I have been using 5 weight line. Torpedo grip. Down-locking aluminum copper reel seat with green thread wraps. Nickel silver ferrules and snake guides. The diameter above the cork is 1.25 inches. All sections measured 32.5 inches. Very well cared for with the two noted exceptions: missing hook keeper, and a minute piece of cork chipped off. The markings are faded to almost unrecognizable. Signed by Bill Phillipson, which is easily seen, and what appears to be "impregnated" is faded quite a bit. I wanted to attach more than two photos, but apparently that's all we're allowed to provide. Thanks for any help you can provide!

Rodney Rice

Answer
Rodney,
Rob,
Bill Phillipson made rods in Denver, CO. Bill P. made good rods.

Books:
Bamboo Rod Restoration Handbook by Michael Sinclair  has history of bamboo rods made by Phillipson. Probably at your local library.

Article on Phillipson Rod Co history:
http://troutunderground.com/2007/05/14/bury-me-with-my-phillipson-bamboo-fly-rod.

More history :
http://home.myfairpoint.net/and96jac/fishnbanjossliceoflifeincyberspacecopy/id20

Price Book:
Antique & Collectable Fishing Rods: Identification & Value Guide Homel, Dan. 1997 (2nd edition 2000) add about 30% for age of book
Bamboo Rod Restoration Handbook -Michael Sinclair

Homel gives the 8 ft Phillipson model "Peerless" impregnated  pack fly rod with an extra tip, 3 sections a value of  $95, 275 and $485 for poor, good, excellent condition respectively.

Before you sell it , get a weight, my guess is heavy like 12 ounces , which means a lower resale price.

Condition impacts bamboo fly rods drastically. I see a loss of finish on the flat below B.Pillipsons name. AT best your rod is in good but more likely poor so maybe 150. More if  you have a good write up and sell on line. I sell write ups for $10 macsrods@yahoo.com If I sold this rod I think I could get $300

Luck,
Mac

Please provide feedback, nominations are appreciated.  

Looking at the feedback where you say you were told it was worth $600 and $800 they obviously did not see the picture of the writing which is fading. Let's just apply some common sense, How can writing be coming off but not the finish which is on top of it? I really do wish you luck , you have completely over evaluated your rod. I see it all the time. I would love to hear back from you after the sale, with the name and contact information of the buyer. You should know I have  been confirmed over and over that people who don't restore or build rods all of them think their rods are in excellent condition, very few are correct.

Fishing

Rich Mac McGaughey