Fishing/bamboo rod

rod in 4 pcs with case
rod in 4 pcs with case  
I have inherited what appears to be a bamboo casting rod. The reel seat is above the cork handle. There is a metal id plate that says "EF Payne Maker, Highland Mills New York. Not sure the weight but the length is 13'6". The diameter of the rod is 1 1/8" and it appears to be nickel but not sure. The main rod measures: 54 3/4", second pc: 55", third pc: 54 3/4", and fourth pc is 50 1/2". The wooden holder is 56 3/4" and holds each pc in its own slot. I am wondering what you might think the value is of this rod. It is in excellent condition. I have pics but can't seem to download from here. I'm hoping you got two at least

Thank you for any info you can give me. I have looked over these rods and can't find anymore markings.

What you have there is a bamboo salmon rod. Closer to a fly rod than a spin or bait casting rod.
The Payne name is renown among collectors. Precisely where is the metal id plate ? If on the rod , then you have something, if on the tube , then you have  trouble.
The reel is in between 2 cork handles. I only got one picture, "rod in 4 pcs with case.jpg". Please send more to ,
First it is not in excellent condition, one of the 2 tips is broken.
Price Book:
Antique & Collectible  Fishing Rods: Identification & Value Guide by Homel, Dan. 1997 (2nd edition 2000)  add about 30% for age of book.  Homel mentions a 3 piece, 2 tip,  "E. F. Payne" early trout rod 10'  rod  c.1905 , giving it a value of  $160, 350 and $600 for poor, good, and excellent condition respectively.
If you disagree with my estimate of condition:
Back up your description of condition with observable facts not just pictures.
Especially important is the finish has smooth texture and is covering all wraps and ferrules.
Almost everyone who asks me questions about their rods says their rod is in excellent condition, very good, mint or like new  - and a very small minority are  right.
Condition criteria is covered with specifics in Homel.

1.Classic & Antique Fly-Fishing Tackle: A Guide for Collectors & Anglers by A.J. Campbell - this and Homel usually available at major libraries.
I need more information on condition to be sure , but you might be able to sell it around 400.

Please provide feedback, nominations are appreciated.  

Rich Mac McGaughey

I can answer questions on graphite fly rod building and bamboo rod restoration and making. I can guide people to restorers . I can guide people to rod building components on the internet as well as catalog. I can help them identify and value their bamboo fly rods with a picture .

If you are asking for the id of an old rod

please give a complete description send pictures especially labels or logos with detailed thorough description** to me and a complete including as much the following as you can: Is it? fly or casting rod ? Reel seat is below or above the cork handle ? Check metal for id and patents ? What is it made of; bamboo ( flat sided) fiberglass or graphite ( round)? Weight in oz? What is the diameter of the rod above the cork? Where was it purchased ? What type of metal nickel-silver, tin, or chrome platted brass? A complete description of any logos or labels. Length of rod per section and number of sections. Total rod length.

Please read the following if the rod has either of the following two labels

Montague or H-I (Horrocks-Ibbotson).

They are looked down upon by the collecting community and often they are justified. They were mass produced , rather heavy and very slow. They are not going to resale for very much.

Two books are available at larger libraries to get history and or value:
Antique & Collectable Fishing Rods: Identification & Value Guide Homel, Dan. 1997
Bamboo Rod Restoration Handbook -Michael Sinclair

Commission Sales

Because of my knowledge I can help you sell and get a good price for your vintage bamboo fly rod. email email Mac

I have been restoring bamboo fly rods for 15 years and making graphite for 17 .

website = click home page

**example of a thorough description of a label: The Shakespeare decal is olive green ovals with gold foil banner bearing the word "Shakespeare" in script. The remainder of the of the lettering is block style reading on top Honor Built and on the bottom of oval , Made in USA. The writing is away from the grip.