Fishing/H-I split cain rods

Question
hi there

I have a H-I split bamboo rod #6653. its in great condition probly 90%. its in the original cloth case inside a tubuler aluminum case. brown plastic handle with metal locking nuts for lack of a better word. cork handle small brass where the pole goes together. its about 12 ft. long. looking for year and value. thanks so much.

Eric-

Answer
Eric
Have you actually put this rod together ? My guess is that  you have not. I believe it is a 9 footer with an extra 3 foot tip section.
Are the sides of the rod flat or round?
I have never seen an Horrocks - Ibbotson Co. bamboo rod with a 4 digit number, fiberglass yes.
Is it fly or spin ? handle is above or below the reel seat?
How do you know the cloth case is original? The aluminum case probably is not original.

Your Horrocks-Ibbotson is not very valuable.
They are looked down upon by the collecting community and often they are justified. They were sort of mass produced , rather heavy and very slow. They are not going to resale for very much.
A small portion of these rods are decent fishing tools . It is the collector community that decides the prices , please  don't blame the messenger.
I find two books are available at larger libraries to get history and or value:
Antique & Collectable Fishing Rods: Identification & Value Guide Homel, Dan. 1997 (2nd edition 2000# ,add 30% due to the age of the book.
Bamboo Rod Restoration Handbook -Michael Sinclair

History
H-I
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze2h7gi/fishnbanjossliceoflifeincyberspacecopy/id22.h

Homel gives the 9 foot Horrocks-Ibbotson fly rod  with an extra tip, 3 sections the average  value of  $18, 46 and $89 for poor, good, and excellent condition respectively.

I think those figures are high but don't rely on me alone, search ebay. I just looked and they peak at $50. Please be clear I am talking about 9 foot fly rod only. If you answer some of my questions above I could further confirm my conclusions.

Luck,
Mac

Please provide feedback, nominations are appreciated.
A six dollar donation would be greatly appreciated.

Fishing

Rich Mac McGaughey