Fishing/Horrock Ibbotson Rod

Question
Hello Sir

I recently inherited a Horrock Ibbotson rod that appears to be a 3 piece with an extra tip although the second tip seems to be lighter weight and has much smaller eyes so I was thinking it might be a 4 piece' 2 pole kit# It has a trout decal with a triangle in the middle and "The Best By Test" and "The Angler" in white script towards the handle and metal reel seat and the eyes are secured by solid kind of red or more scarlet bindings# It appears to be a casting rod though judging by the reel seat placement and I have really been unable to find anything about the model or a possible value or production info or really anything =/

I was just hoping you might have some information or could point me in a direction or something#

Thank You =)
   Brian D

Answer
Brian,
The bad news is  that it is not a bamboo fly rod. They aren't collectable and so there is little to nothing written on the spin/ cast rod.
Over the years I have tried to sell them with no luck. Not even $15.
I have done ok to sell them to restaurants and lodges as wall hangers.
The author of  Bamboo Rod Restoration Handbook  , Michael Sinclair says there are too many models to catalog all H-Is and doesn't mention your model "the Angler" . But he does date the decal - the trout from 1923- 1929, if I understand the description you gave. Sinclair says the Trout Logo is colorful. Send me a picture please to macsrods@yahoo.com, please. The Best by test dates from 1929 to 1933.
I know, this very old antique rod and you can barely give them away , sad but true.

Price Book:
Antique & Collectible  Fishing Rods: Identification & Value Guide by Homel, Dan. 1997 (2nd edition 2000)  add about 30% for age of book.
Homel mentions several spin models with values of 15, 30, and 60 for poor, good, and excellent condition respectively. But I think that's high.
There is history of the Internet of the company:
http://fishnbanjosplace.yuku.com/topic/13/t/History-and-value-of-Horrocks-Ibbots
and anther book, all three ass resource books in major libraries, Classic & Antique Fly-Fishing Tackle: A Guide for Collectors & Anglers by A.J. Campbell

Luck,
Mac

Please provide feedback, nominations are appreciated.

Fishing

Rich Mac McGaughey