Fishing/milwaukee harbor fishing

when will the crank bait or jig bite start in mckinley harbor Milwaukee? with this strange weather this year im a bit reluctant to go. thank you.

Hi Mike,

They have been trickling in the past two weekends.  More every day now and it will continue to build.  The water is still a little warm in the harbor so the fish have been a little lethargic to bite, but they are in.  Got one and missed one this morning and I just stopped for an hour to cast from shore.  

Weather permitting, I'd say its safe to come anytime now.  If the water cools (West winds)it would be very good the next couple weekends.  The run doesn't last 6-8 weeks like it used to because stocking numbers are down, but it will be good for Kings all September and then after that there should be some action for Browns, Rainbows, etc till early December.  If you are looking for total migration to the moored-boat harbor, wait a couple weeks.  Despite the weird weather, the fish seem to be right on schedule.

Not to scare you off for this weekend or anything, but the Harley's 110th celebration has consumed the city and getting around is a nightmare. There are a gazillion bikes in town, streets are closed, etc, etc.  

Good fishing,

Marc Wisniewski

I can answer questions relating to all types of freshwater fishing, tackle, and tactics. I also can answer questions regarding rod building, lure making, and lure modification. I am not an expert at the value of old rods, reels, or lures.

My expertise is in Bass, Pike, Musky and the Great Lakes species. I have a lot of experience in Wisconsin and Lake Michigan in particular. With regard to Rod building, I have built custom rods since 1978. I have been building and designing lures for 35 years. I currently sell several of my lures both locally and nation wide. I have done work for several lure companies such as Mepps, Storm, Cisco Kid, and Suick. I am not an expert at the value of old rods, reels, or lures.

Wisconsin DNR Lake Michigan Forum (elected position). Friends of Lakeshore State Park, Milwaukee, WI

Two monthly columns in Midwest Outdoors Magazine, Writer of the weekly Lake Michigan Fishing Report in the Milwaukee Journal/Sentinel, The In-Fisherman Magazine(since 1986), Musky Hunter Magazine, The Badger Sportsman, Woods and Waters Magazine, The Mepps Fishing Guide, Do-It Molds website, and I have been a guest on WGN Radio (Chicago) on their Saturday Outdoor program.

I have an engineering background.