Fishing/OFT High Class Split Bamboo Fishing Rod

I have a five piece rod that is in a wooden box that has never been used.  ALL the tackle is still in the box and most of it is still in the original packaging.  How or where can I find out how much it is worth.  I cannot find out anything about "OFT", it is all in Japanese.  Thanks for your time.

Hi William.

There were a lot of Japanese bamboo rods back from the 50's.  They were nice looking and usually in great looking presentation cases.  Unfortunately the rods were less than perfect quality or craftsmanship.  It may be worth $50-$100.

That said, I am not the expert on old rods.  Please redirect this question to Joe Douglas or Rich McNaughety on this site.  They will have a much  better idea.

Good luck

Marc Wisniewski

I can answer questions relating to all types of freshwater fishing, tackle, and tactics. I also can answer questions regarding rod building, lure making, and lure modification. I am not an expert at the value of old rods, reels, or lures.

My expertise is in Bass, Pike, Musky and the Great Lakes species. I have a lot of experience in Wisconsin and Lake Michigan in particular. With regard to Rod building, I have built custom rods since 1978. I have been building and designing lures for 35 years. I currently sell several of my lures both locally and nation wide. I have done work for several lure companies such as Mepps, Storm, Cisco Kid, and Suick. I am not an expert at the value of old rods, reels, or lures.

Wisconsin DNR Lake Michigan Forum (elected position). Friends of Lakeshore State Park, Milwaukee, WI

Two monthly columns in Midwest Outdoors Magazine, Writer of the weekly Lake Michigan Fishing Report in the Milwaukee Journal/Sentinel, The In-Fisherman Magazine(since 1986), Musky Hunter Magazine, The Badger Sportsman, Woods and Waters Magazine, The Mepps Fishing Guide, Do-It Molds website, and I have been a guest on WGN Radio (Chicago) on their Saturday Outdoor program.

I have an engineering background.