Fishing/old fishing reel

Hi Marc, Letting you know now that i hate computers and they hate me. My question is, I found a SEARS#248.39800 Japan red and white reel. Fair shape and works great. Like to know the year and worth, not getting rid of it but need info for my collection. Any help and your my new god... Only kidding... PLEASE... THANK YOU JOHN from JERSEY.

Hi John,

Without seeing it I am not sure what type of reel it is.  But it's probably from the 1950's or maybe 1960's. Unfortunately, the private label sears reels don't have much of a following from collectors.  I'd say that unless it is something unique and very rare, it's probably worth $10-$30.  Check e-Bay and see if there is anything close to what you have and watch the auction.  That will give you a pretty accurate value.

Good luck,

Marc Wisniewski

I can answer questions relating to all types of freshwater fishing, tackle, and tactics. I also can answer questions regarding rod building, lure making, and lure modification. I am not an expert at the value of old rods, reels, or lures.

My expertise is in Bass, Pike, Musky and the Great Lakes species. I have a lot of experience in Wisconsin and Lake Michigan in particular. With regard to Rod building, I have built custom rods since 1978. I have been building and designing lures for 35 years. I currently sell several of my lures both locally and nation wide. I have done work for several lure companies such as Mepps, Storm, Cisco Kid, and Suick. I am not an expert at the value of old rods, reels, or lures.

Wisconsin DNR Lake Michigan Forum (elected position). Friends of Lakeshore State Park, Milwaukee, WI

Two monthly columns in Midwest Outdoors Magazine, Writer of the weekly Lake Michigan Fishing Report in the Milwaukee Journal/Sentinel, The In-Fisherman Magazine(since 1986), Musky Hunter Magazine, The Badger Sportsman, Woods and Waters Magazine, The Mepps Fishing Guide, Do-It Molds website, and I have been a guest on WGN Radio (Chicago) on their Saturday Outdoor program.

I have an engineering background.