Fishing/10 ft Bamboo rod blackfish (ie luderick

Question
2069
2069  

2070
2070  
I would appreciate your assessment of a 10ft long 3 piece bamboo rod which I inherited as a child 70 years ago, but have never used it. So it could be older. My mother described it as a "blackfish" rod (ie luderick). I can find no ID markings on it at all, so I am thinking it may have been custom made. The thread bindings are only about 1 cm apart, a small spacing that I have not seen in pictures while searching the internet - and they are unfrayed. One metal ferrule has a crack. I think the ferrule metal is probably plated brass. The cane appears undamaged in any way.
Thanks.

Answer
Bob
An interesting rod but because it is not a fly rod there is not going to be any easy to find history or values.
The intermediate wrappings every 1-3 inches indicates a pre 1930s rod. They used animal hide glue and did not trust it, hoped those extra wraps would keep the 6 sections together.
I have never heard of luderick, seems to be UK from the Internet but another indication that if there is history it is not out with me in the west USA.
You rod is a little old for my books and experience. I start about 1930ish, and most of the rods I evaluate have logos, labels or etched writing on the metal parts.
But I do know a guy. Send the question to my rod history friend the Gnomme aka Jeff Hatton (gnomishrodworks@tds.net) author of Rod Crafting A Full-Color Pictorial & Written History from 1843-1960
Jeffrey L. Hatton Softbound: 305 pp. Frank Amato Publications, $45
ISBN 1-57188-356-8, tell him Mac from Denver sent you.

Good Luck,
Mac
Please provide feedback, nominations are appreciated.  

Fishing

Rich Mac McGaughey