Fishing/Phillipson Peacemaker Bamboo Fly Rod

Phillipson Peacemaker
Phillipson Peacemaker  

Phillpson #68
Phillpson #68  
My husband inherited a very large collection of fishing gear from his Dad (age 94). He has been an avid bass and trout fisherman all of his life but his memory is no longer there to ask him more.  Although my husband never saw him do any fly fishing he has a beautiful bamboo fly rod with no apparent wear marked Phillipson Peacemaker with a small apparently hand inked number "68".  It has the original "sock" and a metal (aluminum?) case with a "Turner Bros. Wellington Ohio" round yellow sticker on it.  His Dad was known for buying only the best and has been fishing since the 1940's.  Can you tell me the meaning of the "68" and if possible an age and value for this rod?  Also what is best way to find the value of older fishing equipment?

How to find out the value of an older fishing rod?:
First thing is examine it carefully it probably is "Pacemaker" not "Peacemaker". take out the first 'e'.
Next put it together and see if it casts - wiggle it and see if it holds together, if you don't know how to fly cast.
You may not quote me as I have only seen 2 pictures but it appears to be in excellent to unused condition.
Besides condition number of sections (should be 4, 2 tips) length of rod, straight sections and rod, length of sections are important in evaluating a rod.
The number 68 is not a usual Phillipson mark.

You can find these books as reserve only, in most major library systems.
Price Book:
Antique & Collectible  Fishing Rods: Identification & Value Guide by Homel, Dan. 1997 #2nd edition 2000# add about 30% for age of book.

Bamboo Rod Restoration Handbook   by Michael Sinclair

Sinclair gives us the Pacemaker was made from 1946  through 1952. Bill Phillipson  started his own company right here in Denver after WW II). He was the head man in another Denver company Granger for many years before he went airborne.  His company made pretty good bamboo and fiberglass rods until 1972.  In 1946 the Pacemaker was at the low end of his line costing $25. Minimum wage was 40 cents an hour, so $25 was a lot of money. In 1952 the rod was the same price but minimum wage was at least .75.
Sinclair says a small number on the rod near the handle refers to an employee number who did a final inspection on the rod.

Homel says there are at least 3 lengths for the Pacemaker 8, 8.5 and 9 foot averaging 316 for excellent to mint condition. Shorter rods carry more value, there is a $100 difference between the 8 and 9 footer.

What makes you think the sock is original? The metal tube is not.

Purple glue lines authenticate this is a real Pillipson because of the type of glue he used.

If I worked harder I could narrow it down further but 1946 to 1952 is a pretty good answer.
If you want something in writing, I charge 5.50 .
email me at
I expect a lot more not blurry pictures of details if you want more
Please provide feedback, nominations are appreciated.  

Rich Mac McGaughey

I can answer questions on graphite fly rod building and bamboo rod restoration and making. I can guide people to restorers . I can guide people to rod building components on the internet as well as catalog. I can help them identify and value their bamboo fly rods with a picture .

If you are asking for the id of an old rod

please give a complete description send pictures especially labels or logos with detailed thorough description** to me and a complete including as much the following as you can: Is it? fly or casting rod ? Reel seat is below or above the cork handle ? Check metal for id and patents ? What is it made of; bamboo ( flat sided) fiberglass or graphite ( round)? Weight in oz? What is the diameter of the rod above the cork? Where was it purchased ? What type of metal nickel-silver, tin, or chrome platted brass? A complete description of any logos or labels. Length of rod per section and number of sections. Total rod length.

Please read the following if the rod has either of the following two labels

Montague or H-I (Horrocks-Ibbotson).

They are looked down upon by the collecting community and often they are justified. They were mass produced , rather heavy and very slow. They are not going to resale for very much.

Two books are available at larger libraries to get history and or value:
Antique & Collectable Fishing Rods: Identification & Value Guide Homel, Dan. 1997
Bamboo Rod Restoration Handbook -Michael Sinclair

Commission Sales

Because of my knowledge I can help you sell and get a good price for your vintage bamboo fly rod. email email Mac

I have been restoring bamboo fly rods for 15 years and making graphite for 17 .

website = click home page

**example of a thorough description of a label: The Shakespeare decal is olive green ovals with gold foil banner bearing the word "Shakespeare" in script. The remainder of the of the lettering is block style reading on top Honor Built and on the bottom of oval , Made in USA. The writing is away from the grip.