Fishing/Fly rod handle

Howdy Rich,
I have agreed to try to install a spey-style lower grip on an existing 9 foot 5 weight rod to help a friend with bad arthritis in her hands (she tried a switch rod of mine and it greatly reduced her pain).  Do you have any ideas on such a retro-fit?  I'm either stripping the lower rod-section and starting over or trying to add-on a lower handle (which I'd prefer to do).

This is what I would do;
Ask your fiend it they want a 10 or 11 ft Spey .
When done this rod will be slower
Find a piece of unused graphite 2-3 ft long and is the same O.D. (outside diameter ) as the I.D. of your friend's rod - SO you have 1-2 feet sticking out of the rods butt section.
Then I would add a fighting butt up to 4-5inches  and more rings on the upper original coek handle - I made mine 12 inches here.
I would use 2 part epoxy or gorilla glue to cement the 2 pieces together.

I think you can fins this piece of graphite in my collection or Mud Hole, rod building:
Buy a blank - call them and tell then what you want - they will try - or:

2. Janns Netcraft call (800) 346-6590
3. Shoff tackle 214 West Meeker Street , Kent, Washington U.S.A. 98032 253-852-4760 Fax 253-850-8757
4. Anglers Workshop 360.225.9445 -
5. Clemens Custom Tackle - 444 Schantz Road Allentown, PA 18104 Voice: (610) 395-5119
6. Hook & Hackle Company - - 7 Kaycee Loop Road, Plattsburgh NY 12901 phone: 1-800-552-8342 (has bamboo blanks, 2-2011)
7. Custom Tackle Supply 931-684-6164

If you don't get this,  email me your phone and we can talk

Please provide feedback, nominations are appreciated.

Rich Mac McGaughey

I can answer questions on graphite fly rod building and bamboo rod restoration and making. I can guide people to restorers . I can guide people to rod building components on the internet as well as catalog. I can help them identify and value their bamboo fly rods with a picture .

If you are asking for the id of an old rod

please give a complete description send pictures especially labels or logos with detailed thorough description** to me and a complete including as much the following as you can: Is it? fly or casting rod ? Reel seat is below or above the cork handle ? Check metal for id and patents ? What is it made of; bamboo ( flat sided) fiberglass or graphite ( round)? Weight in oz? What is the diameter of the rod above the cork? Where was it purchased ? What type of metal nickel-silver, tin, or chrome platted brass? A complete description of any logos or labels. Length of rod per section and number of sections. Total rod length.

Please read the following if the rod has either of the following two labels

Montague or H-I (Horrocks-Ibbotson).

They are looked down upon by the collecting community and often they are justified. They were mass produced , rather heavy and very slow. They are not going to resale for very much.

Two books are available at larger libraries to get history and or value:
Antique & Collectable Fishing Rods: Identification & Value Guide Homel, Dan. 1997
Bamboo Rod Restoration Handbook -Michael Sinclair

Commission Sales

Because of my knowledge I can help you sell and get a good price for your vintage bamboo fly rod. email email Mac

I have been restoring bamboo fly rods for 15 years and making graphite for 17 .

website = click home page

**example of a thorough description of a label: The Shakespeare decal is olive green ovals with gold foil banner bearing the word "Shakespeare" in script. The remainder of the of the lettering is block style reading on top Honor Built and on the bottom of oval , Made in USA. The writing is away from the grip.