Fishing/Ted Williams Rod and Reel

My father-in-law has come into possession of a Ted Williams Casting Rod, circa 1950-1960 along with a Ted Williams Closed Reel, #235.  He has rehabbed the rod because he is an avid fisherman and does this as a hobby.  Someone wants to buy the two pieces and he is trying to determine an appropriate value.  I am sorry we don't have pictures.  The rod does have a number on it and a copy of Ted Williams' signature.  The reel has the 235 number in the center of a round circle featuring Ted Williams name along with Sears Robuck and Co.  The rod shows both U.S. and Canadian patent numbers.  Thank you so much for your help.

Hello Mary Jane,

Thank you so much for the question. Unfortunately, I do not give appraisals on gear. I can tell you that the rod and reel were sold typically as a combo and were marketed as a solid, entry level set up. The "Ted Williams" branding was his endorsement for Sears & Roebuck for many years.  

That being said, any item may or may not have value to an individual that wants them for a collection or nostalgia's sake. I would simply decide what it is worth to you and set that as your reserve on Ebay and sell it...or better yet, keep fishing with it.

If you still need further information you may consider asking Robert Vermillion on this same site. He enjoys offering dollar values on are extremely helpful and an honest value is very difficult without them.

I certainly hope this helps in a positive way. If you need further history on the rod and reel I would be happy to call on my resources and pass that information on to you.

Thanks again for the question.

Mark Rimmer

I have been actively fishing for forty-five years! For nearly 15 of those years I was able to fish nearly 200 days per year. Those wonderful days have left me with a plethora of knowledge to share. I have fished from the Marianas of the Pacific to the quiet tidewaters of Virginia and North Carolina, Antigua the gulf coast of Texas and many places in between. My home waters are those of the west. I am passionate about bass fishing, tournament as well as recreational. In addition, I am well versed in fishing for most other species...(Okay, although interesting, I'm not an expert on British or European style competitive carp fishing...chumming with a slingshot anyone?). I am intimately acquainted with the San Diego County Lakes, Diamond Valley reservoir in Riverside County California and numerous other exciting fishing waters from Texas (Travis County) to the Pacific Coast and south to Cabo San Lucas. I have many years of experience in blue-water as well as inshore angling of all types in Southern California with both artificial and live baits; high country fishing in the Sierra Nevada Mountains of my beloved Golden State with nothing but a backpack and a fly-rod. There are still a lifetime of adventures to undertake, together with my lovely wife, Christine. I am an expert rod smith and have vast experience with both the construction and repair all types of rods including split bamboo (new or vintage) and hickory as well as graphite, boron composites and all types of fiberglass. I spent 20 years in the retail business of which 6 were spent owning and operating a successful tackle shop, specializing in custom rod making, rod and reel repairs and a full scale tackle selection. Uncommon topics I love to discuss: Fisheries Management; Tackle Shop/ retail management; Ethics and responsibilities of anglers; Repair and maintenance of rods/reels; "How to"...any topic in fishing.

I took a few years off,(5 to be exact) from answering questions for but I'm back now! My experience? Forty-Five years of bio-observation, fishing numerous types of waters with virtually every type of tackle: Casting, Fly, Spinning, Offshore/blue-water, Coastal, Surf, Tournaments: ( Bass, Local Saltwater), Alpine lakes/streams, ditches, canals, sloughs, marshes, creeks and swamps; if there is water, I usually throw a cast or two. Tackle Shop ownership and management, Expert Custom Rod Construction and repair (Big-game, Long-range stand-up, Live bait, jig sticks, Casting, Spinning and fly- including split-cane). I have personally constructed over 700 custom rods of all types...nearly half of the rods the shop turned out. I also have performed hundreds of reel repairs of all types- antique to modern. I do not typically offer valuation of tackle. This is very difficult without inspecting the tackle first hand and leaving valuation far to subjective. I will be happy to offer other experts for placing a value on your tackle.

NRA forever...(Gun rights...Guns and fishing rods belong together right?), belonged to BASS for most of my life but keep forgetting to renew. I like Trout Unlimited but again, keep forgetting to renew...gotta more tank of gas and some fresh line...or memberships? Hmmm.

None yet...why aren't they chasing me?

"Roads" Scholar. Life-long independent study of fisheries biology, ichthyology, aquatic/marine biology, ecosystems, angling techniques and observations of animals, fish and humans: both smart guys and knuckleheads.

Self-Proclaimed tackleshop of the year! The California Tackle Box- Oceanside, Ca.

Thousands served!