Fishing/Wright mcgill fly rod

3 Piece rod
3 Piece rod  
I have a wright & mcgill water seal that is 8ft long three pieces. It had 12 1938 on the real seat as well as pat no. 2,114,107. It has reddish maroon wrap with yellow ends on the  ferrules. Do not have the original wrap or tube. Could not find and info on this rod. Any idea of what it could be worth? Seems to be in pretty good condition. Thanks

The answer revolves around what the rod is made of; if flat or round will tell it all ?
If your rod is flat then you have something worth looking at, as it is bamboo.
But I am guessing from the picture that your rod is round, not worth a whole lot , fiberglass and very little is written on them so it is not a surprise that you could not find anything on it.
I am pretty sure your rod is made of fiberglass. I have  experience attempting to sell fiberglass fly rods - check out ebay and you'll see what I mean.

I am a bamboo man not fiberglass. Fiberglass is just not collected like bamboo. It was made from the 1950s to the 70s.

I have no specific history or books on fiberglass, I believe they are rare or don't exist, but here's two web sites that are about fiberglass:
Please be cautious about someone telling you your rod is worth thousands until they offer cash. People want fiberglass to be collectable like bamboo but that doesn’t make it so.

Please provide feedback, nominations are appreciated.

Rich Mac McGaughey

I can answer questions on graphite fly rod building and bamboo rod restoration and making. I can guide people to restorers . I can guide people to rod building components on the internet as well as catalog. I can help them identify and value their bamboo fly rods with a picture .

If you are asking for the id of an old rod

please give a complete description send pictures especially labels or logos with detailed thorough description** to me and a complete including as much the following as you can: Is it? fly or casting rod ? Reel seat is below or above the cork handle ? Check metal for id and patents ? What is it made of; bamboo ( flat sided) fiberglass or graphite ( round)? Weight in oz? What is the diameter of the rod above the cork? Where was it purchased ? What type of metal nickel-silver, tin, or chrome platted brass? A complete description of any logos or labels. Length of rod per section and number of sections. Total rod length.

Please read the following if the rod has either of the following two labels

Montague or H-I (Horrocks-Ibbotson).

They are looked down upon by the collecting community and often they are justified. They were mass produced , rather heavy and very slow. They are not going to resale for very much.

Two books are available at larger libraries to get history and or value:
Antique & Collectable Fishing Rods: Identification & Value Guide Homel, Dan. 1997
Bamboo Rod Restoration Handbook -Michael Sinclair

Commission Sales

Because of my knowledge I can help you sell and get a good price for your vintage bamboo fly rod. email email Mac

I have been restoring bamboo fly rods for 15 years and making graphite for 17 .

website = click home page

**example of a thorough description of a label: The Shakespeare decal is olive green ovals with gold foil banner bearing the word "Shakespeare" in script. The remainder of the of the lettering is block style reading on top Honor Built and on the bottom of oval , Made in USA. The writing is away from the grip.