Fishing/Granger, Aristocrat

I recently ran across a Granger Aristocrat bamboo fly rod that is is good condition.  I will have to get a picture later but found this site.  It says Patent Pending, Goodwin Granger, Denver Colorado on the seat.  The rod has spots where the finish is missing, not large areas but noticeable.  It still has the original winding and those are in good/very good condition.  There is no sock and no case.  I am looking for a fair value on this.

I also own three Browning Sila-flex fly rods that have never been used.  One is four piece and the other two are two piece.  I love the fiberglass rods but might part with one or two of these.  I have seen values from $80 to $300.  There are socks but I cannot swear that they are also original.  Can you ballpark value these?

My favorite rod is an 8 1/2 ft 1929 Winchester steel rod.  Very different to cast but a real shooter when done right.  Have you ever had any experience with one of these?

Thank you,

Mike Quinn

Books :
Antique & Collectable Fishing Rods: Identification & Value Guide Homel, Dan. 1997 (2nd edition 2000)
Bamboo Rod Restoration Handbook -Michael Sinclair
Classic & Antique Fly-Fishing Tackle: A Guide for Collectors & Anglers by A.J. Campbell
Homel, add 30% due to age of book :

Homel gives the value for the 9 ft model Aristocrat with an extra tip, at  $75, 185 and $345 for poor, good, excellent condition respectively. Homel also goes into great detail about condition evaluation. It is probably in your local library.
Most people over evaluate bamboo rod conditions, they are old and unique therefore pristine looking but in fact most rods of that age  have been used and are best in good condition. Frim your description of the finish , I say poor condition.

I don't do fiberglass as they have little to no resale vale. Ity's bamboo the collectors want,

Use these key words to search Allexperts - the sight you wrote me a question,
Winchester steel rod and you can see that I and a couple of the other guys go into detail with another rod that was meant to be hung on the wall

Good Luck,

Please provide feedback, nominations are appreciated.  

Rich Mac McGaughey

I can answer questions on graphite fly rod building and bamboo rod restoration and making. I can guide people to restorers . I can guide people to rod building components on the internet as well as catalog. I can help them identify and value their bamboo fly rods with a picture .

If you are asking for the id of an old rod

please give a complete description send pictures especially labels or logos with detailed thorough description** to me and a complete including as much the following as you can: Is it? fly or casting rod ? Reel seat is below or above the cork handle ? Check metal for id and patents ? What is it made of; bamboo ( flat sided) fiberglass or graphite ( round)? Weight in oz? What is the diameter of the rod above the cork? Where was it purchased ? What type of metal nickel-silver, tin, or chrome platted brass? A complete description of any logos or labels. Length of rod per section and number of sections. Total rod length.

Please read the following if the rod has either of the following two labels

Montague or H-I (Horrocks-Ibbotson).

They are looked down upon by the collecting community and often they are justified. They were mass produced , rather heavy and very slow. They are not going to resale for very much.

Two books are available at larger libraries to get history and or value:
Antique & Collectable Fishing Rods: Identification & Value Guide Homel, Dan. 1997

Commission Sales

Because of my knowledge I can help you sell and get a good price for your vintage bamboo fly rod. email email Mac

I have been restoring bamboo fly rods for 15 years and making graphite for 17 .

website = click home page

**example of a thorough description of a label: The Shakespeare decal is olive green ovals with gold foil banner bearing the word "Shakespeare" in script. The remainder of the of the lettering is block style reading on top Honor Built and on the bottom of oval , Made in USA. The writing is away from the grip.