Fishing/Horrok-Ibboston co. Rod

Question
QUESTION: My question is somewhat simple, but i have had no luck finding the answer. I have a H-I Fly rod and I've been trying to to find some background on it, it's a Golden Rod HI-Power Glass Spinning Rod Deluxe quality Medium Action 7ft model no. 1227. I have searched the internet and ask people, but I have not come across anything that would tell me (when it was made, quality of the rod, or the standing worth of the rod). It is in mint condition, and is still in its' original tube and sleeve. If you could help me with my dilemma, I would be very grateful. Thank you.

ANSWER: Evening Bernard-

I have owned and few and repaired many Horrocks. It would be a huge help in I.D'ing the rod if you could attach some good quality .jpg images of it. If you are able, take photos of the entire rod, the tip and guides, any ferrules, the handle and most importantly, the butt of the rod just ahead of the fore grip. Any decals and or printing will be very valuable.

If you are not able, will you please describe the label (the shape, the colors etc.)in it as well as the color of any printing (the model number etc.) The labeling and colors used are indicative of the era or time frame in which the rods were made.

While I do not offer values on vintage tackle, I will try, after identification to at least let you know if it is collectable. Two features stand out well..."glass" (or fiber glass, was used post WWII until H-I dissolved) and the fact that the rod is in "mint" condition with the rod tube and sock, will certainly add to it's worth to a collector.

So if you will, please send along the images as an attachment to another question (just a "here ya go" will do) and descriptions and I should have no trouble coming up with the most accurate info you can count on.

Thanks for the question !

Mark

label
label  

label, tag, and model #
label, tag, and model  
QUESTION: Here are two of the pictures of the Rod, and tag. The tube isn't in great condition,  but the Rod is mint as my pictures will show. I'm asking in hopes to have some background, as I would like to give it as a gift but don't anything about it.

Answer
Hello again Bernard,

Thanks for the quick response. I place the rod somewhere between 1940 and 1950 based upon the decal. It looks to be in good shape. As you may already know, most H-I rods and their line of fishing gear in general, were mass produced and considered by fishing enthusiasts as entry level with a mid-price point. The target market was for the average "Joe" that wanted a nice rod and reel. While some of the split cane rods, especially the "premier" fly-rods H-I produced, are gaining in collector popularity, the values remain somewhat depressed.

I just found a couple of catalogs from the 1950's and 1961...two are wholesale price lists and the third from 1961 is a product catalog. I will add them to my library for future reference.

I agree that the rod and sock are in great condition for a rod between 50 and 75 years old. Now, while I am a BIG fan of keeping antique tackle in top shape so you can actually FISH with the gear, I will advise you... DO NOT fish with this rod. The primary reason I say this is that fiberglass resins continue to "cure" for their entire lives and eventually become quite brittle. That being said, any routine flex of the rod may cause a failure...but, the condition does look exceptional for it's age and it may well fish.

I have forwarded this question to my personal email. If you would like, I will see if the model is listed in the catalog and or price lists I have just obtained. Just drop me a line at MarkRimmer1@aol.com and I'll keep you posted.

It's a nostalgic piece. I would keep it or gift it to someone that would appreciate it if it were mine.

Hope this helps-

Thanks again for the question.

Mark  

Fishing

Mark Rimmer