Fishing/Lee Wulff "Fish Hawk"

I am looking for any info on a bamboo fly rod the writing on the rod looks like this:

Lee Wulff "Fish Hawk"
#1144 9` 6oz Armour Game
Made by Farlow's
in Aberdeen Scotland

Thanks in advance

Lee Wulff was a renown fly fishing guide, some consider him the father of modern fly fishing.
He invented the fly vest and was instrumental in using chest waders.
Farlows did not make rods but sell outdoor sporting equipment and put their name on it. Farlows is like Orvis here in the US.

Value depends on type of rod. I doubt if  you are going to find mention on this rod. You would have to research in the UK and Canada.
If you want more from me, you would want to answer all, or as many as you can, my questions at

You have a Scottish rod made by a very good company.
History :
They have been around since the 1800s and continue on today. See their website at
This old Colorado boy has actually bought some fly tying tools there,  but they  are basically a fly shop , lots  of salmon stuff so not like the fly shops we have here in the west US.
And  try Farlows of London

In the library you might try:
Classic & Antique Fly-Fishing Tackle: A Guide for Collectors & Anglers by A.J. Campbell
Fishing Tackle: A Collector's Guide  Hardcover, 1991 Graham Turner (hard to find)

similar sites in the UK are

Please provide feedback, nominations are appreciated.  

Rich Mac McGaughey

I can answer questions on graphite fly rod building and bamboo rod restoration and making. I can guide people to restorers . I can guide people to rod building components on the internet as well as catalog. I can help them identify and value their bamboo fly rods with a picture .

If you are asking for the id of an old rod

please give a complete description send pictures especially labels or logos with detailed thorough description** to me and a complete including as much the following as you can: Is it? fly or casting rod ? Reel seat is below or above the cork handle ? Check metal for id and patents ? What is it made of; bamboo ( flat sided) fiberglass or graphite ( round)? Weight in oz? What is the diameter of the rod above the cork? Where was it purchased ? What type of metal nickel-silver, tin, or chrome platted brass? A complete description of any logos or labels. Length of rod per section and number of sections. Total rod length.

Please read the following if the rod has either of the following two labels

Montague or H-I (Horrocks-Ibbotson).

They are looked down upon by the collecting community and often they are justified. They were mass produced , rather heavy and very slow. They are not going to resale for very much.

Two books are available at larger libraries to get history and or value:
Antique & Collectable Fishing Rods: Identification & Value Guide Homel, Dan. 1997
Bamboo Rod Restoration Handbook -Michael Sinclair

Commission Sales

Because of my knowledge I can help you sell and get a good price for your vintage bamboo fly rod. email email Mac

I have been restoring bamboo fly rods for 15 years and making graphite for 17 .

website = click home page

**example of a thorough description of a label: The Shakespeare decal is olive green ovals with gold foil banner bearing the word "Shakespeare" in script. The remainder of the of the lettering is block style reading on top Honor Built and on the bottom of oval , Made in USA. The writing is away from the grip.