Fishing/Question on Steel Rod

QUESTION: I saw on an earlier post that you have some knowledge of steel rods.  I have one from Grandpa that I used for many years as a kid, it is missing and eye (closest one to reel)(it only has two eyes total)and I am trying to find someone that can repair it.  I would like to continue to use, but without the eye, it is useless.  The eye itself is missing, the steel support arms are still there and undamaged.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

ANSWER: Good evening Steve,

Forgive me for the delay in answering...the Holidays. Happy new year!

There are many different makes of steel shaft rods out there from the early 1900's through the early 1950's. Most eventually were produced (or companies that produced them were bought up by) True Temper.

Is the shaft round and tapered? Is it square and tapered or perhaps both? Either way, the guides were attached either by soldering, wire wrappings and occasionally welded to the shaft. I have seen some round shafts that were actually wrapped with silk like the quality bamboo and early fiberglass rods. What method was used to attach the remaining guide on the rod?

Does the remaining guide and the tip-top have a red, white or perhaps black "glass" ring inside? If so, it is actually not glass but onyx (black or white) or garnet(red).

If you have the ability, can you take a number of HD pics, in focus, of the rod shaft, handle, guides and tip-top and forward them to me as a follow-up question?

In the meanwhile, I will call around Missouri and find a competent rod repair guy (rod smith) that will be familiar with repair of your rod. It shouldn't be too awfully difficult.

What town are you in in Missouri?

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks for asking!

Many thanks for answering!!!!!

I will be forwarding the photos soon.

I live near in Dixon, MO, it is south-central MO, in-between Springfield & St. Louis, just off I-44.  I am closer to Springfield (1.25 hours) vs. St. Louis (2 hours).

Forgive me! Getting back to your question with a follow-up quite simply skipped my mind...workin' like an dog and in escrow on a new home has be all screwed up!

I have looked like crazy for someone near you to do the repair or teach you how to do it yourself...NO LUCK...that blows my mind. Most tackle shops out this way are just not shops unless they offer these services.

Have you forwarded the jpegs to me?

I'll make you a deal: If I can't guide you to get the refurbishment done, we will speak privately...and git'er done!

Hope all is well and you are not freezing or about to get flooded out!

-Mark Rimmer

Mark Rimmer

I have been actively fishing for forty-five years! For nearly 15 of those years I was able to fish nearly 200 days per year. Those wonderful days have left me with a plethora of knowledge to share. I have fished from the Marianas of the Pacific to the quiet tidewaters of Virginia and North Carolina, Antigua the gulf coast of Texas and many places in between. My home waters are those of the west. I am passionate about bass fishing, tournament as well as recreational. In addition, I am well versed in fishing for most other species...(Okay, although interesting, I'm not an expert on British or European style competitive carp fishing...chumming with a slingshot anyone?). I am intimately acquainted with the San Diego County Lakes, Diamond Valley reservoir in Riverside County California and numerous other exciting fishing waters from Texas (Travis County) to the Pacific Coast and south to Cabo San Lucas. I have many years of experience in blue-water as well as inshore angling of all types in Southern California with both artificial and live baits; high country fishing in the Sierra Nevada Mountains of my beloved Golden State with nothing but a backpack and a fly-rod. There are still a lifetime of adventures to undertake, together with my lovely wife, Christine. I am an expert rod smith and have vast experience with both the construction and repair all types of rods including split bamboo (new or vintage) and hickory as well as graphite, boron composites and all types of fiberglass. I spent 20 years in the retail business of which 6 were spent owning and operating a successful tackle shop, specializing in custom rod making, rod and reel repairs and a full scale tackle selection. Uncommon topics I love to discuss: Fisheries Management; Tackle Shop/ retail management; Ethics and responsibilities of anglers; Repair and maintenance of rods/reels; "How to"...any topic in fishing.

I took a few years off,(5 to be exact) from answering questions for but I'm back now! My experience? Forty-Five years of bio-observation, fishing numerous types of waters with virtually every type of tackle: Casting, Fly, Spinning, Offshore/blue-water, Coastal, Surf, Tournaments: ( Bass, Local Saltwater), Alpine lakes/streams, ditches, canals, sloughs, marshes, creeks and swamps; if there is water, I usually throw a cast or two. Tackle Shop ownership and management, Expert Custom Rod Construction and repair (Big-game, Long-range stand-up, Live bait, jig sticks, Casting, Spinning and fly- including split-cane). I have personally constructed over 700 custom rods of all types...nearly half of the rods the shop turned out. I also have performed hundreds of reel repairs of all types- antique to modern. I do not typically offer valuation of tackle. This is very difficult without inspecting the tackle first hand and leaving valuation far to subjective. I will be happy to offer other experts for placing a value on your tackle.

NRA forever...(Gun rights...Guns and fishing rods belong together right?), belonged to BASS for most of my life but keep forgetting to renew. I like Trout Unlimited but again, keep forgetting to renew...gotta more tank of gas and some fresh line...or memberships? Hmmm.

None yet...why aren't they chasing me?

"Roads" Scholar. Life-long independent study of fisheries biology, ichthyology, aquatic/marine biology, ecosystems, angling techniques and observations of animals, fish and humans: both smart guys and knuckleheads.

Self-Proclaimed tackleshop of the year! The California Tackle Box- Oceanside, Ca.

Thousands served!