Fishing/edwards bristol casting rod

I just bought a really rough edwards bristol B7 5-1/2 ft bamboo rod for $1.  It's missing 2 of 5 eyelets and 2 of the remaining 3 are about to fall off.  The plastic(?) reel seat is crushed.  A chunk of cork is gone from the base of the grip.  The shaft between two of the eyelets is completely wound with brown fish line(?) and lacquered.  No doubt the bamboo must be broken.  Other than that, it's beautiful.  I think you're going to say forget it as it is not good for anything but a wall decoration and I'm not going to spend $100 just for that.

It has no value as it is, but if you fix it up it might fish, at least.
I think bamboo people are extreme optimists.
You describe a tomato stake but end up calling it beautiful.
There's a special level in heaven for that kind of thinking.
I would not restore it as casting rods have a maximum retail value of $50.
This rod would need to be stripped and rewrapped then dip or spray finished.
My suggestion is make it a project

Rich Mac McGaughey

I can answer questions on graphite fly rod building and bamboo rod restoration and making. I can guide people to restorers . I can guide people to rod building components on the internet as well as catalog. I can help them identify and value their bamboo fly rods with a picture .

If you are asking for the id of an old rod

please give a complete description send pictures especially labels or logos with detailed thorough description** to me and a complete including as much the following as you can: Is it? fly or casting rod ? Reel seat is below or above the cork handle ? Check metal for id and patents ? What is it made of; bamboo ( flat sided) fiberglass or graphite ( round)? Weight in oz? What is the diameter of the rod above the cork? Where was it purchased ? What type of metal nickel-silver, tin, or chrome platted brass? A complete description of any logos or labels. Length of rod per section and number of sections. Total rod length.

Please read the following if the rod has either of the following two labels

Montague or H-I (Horrocks-Ibbotson).

They are looked down upon by the collecting community and often they are justified. They were mass produced , rather heavy and very slow. They are not going to resale for very much.

Two books are available at larger libraries to get history and or value:
Antique & Collectable Fishing Rods: Identification & Value Guide Homel, Dan. 1997
Bamboo Rod Restoration Handbook -Michael Sinclair

Commission Sales

Because of my knowledge I can help you sell and get a good price for your vintage bamboo fly rod. email email Mac

I have been restoring bamboo fly rods for 15 years and making graphite for 17 .

website = click home page

**example of a thorough description of a label: The Shakespeare decal is olive green ovals with gold foil banner bearing the word "Shakespeare" in script. The remainder of the of the lettering is block style reading on top Honor Built and on the bottom of oval , Made in USA. The writing is away from the grip.