Fishing/Med Lite Fishing Rod

I use spinning rods. Most are med action, fast tip. I was thinking about a 6'ft med Lite Rod, Moderate action for my swim baits. I like the way the pros pole bend on tv when they catch a nice bass. Also thinking the shock/hook up may be better as there's some give in the rod being moderate action. Your opinion will be great and any advice.
 Think You for Your Time.

Hi Ken,

The moderate action rods are made to lessen the sensitivity for some lures where you don't want to strike too soon.  Crankbaiters, spinnerbaiters and as you say swimbaits work well on a moderate action rod.  That said, casting isn't as crisp and hook sets are slower as well.  Many guys who use the moderate action rods will use braid to lessen the problems with hook sets.  

There is give and take with rods.  I use fast or extra fast 90% of the time.  I do have a moderate action for throwing deep crankbaits like Mann's 20+.  

You wouldn't want to use a moderate for worm or jig fishing.  I wouldn't use it for anything where you had to strike or react quickly.  There is a time and place for them, but it's a specialty action for certain baits.

Good fishing,

Marc Wisniewski

I can answer questions relating to all types of freshwater fishing, tackle, and tactics. I also can answer questions regarding rod building, lure making, and lure modification. I am not an expert at the value of old rods, reels, or lures.

My expertise is in Bass, Pike, Musky and the Great Lakes species. I have a lot of experience in Wisconsin and Lake Michigan in particular. With regard to Rod building, I have built custom rods since 1978. I have been building and designing lures for 35 years. I currently sell several of my lures both locally and nation wide. I have done work for several lure companies such as Mepps, Storm, Cisco Kid, and Suick. I am not an expert at the value of old rods, reels, or lures.

Wisconsin DNR Lake Michigan Forum (elected position). Friends of Lakeshore State Park, Milwaukee, WI

Two monthly columns in Midwest Outdoors Magazine, Writer of the weekly Lake Michigan Fishing Report in the Milwaukee Journal/Sentinel, The In-Fisherman Magazine(since 1986), Musky Hunter Magazine, The Badger Sportsman, Woods and Waters Magazine, The Mepps Fishing Guide, Do-It Molds website, and I have been a guest on WGN Radio (Chicago) on their Saturday Outdoor program.

I have an engineering background.