Fishing/Med Lite Fishing Rod

Question
I use spinning rods. Most are med action, fast tip. I was thinking about a 6'ft med Lite Rod, Moderate action for my swim baits. I like the way the pros pole bend on tv when they catch a nice bass. Also thinking the shock/hook up may be better as there's some give in the rod being moderate action. Your opinion will be great and any advice.
 Think You for Your Time.
    Ken

Answer
Hi Ken,

The moderate action rods are made to lessen the sensitivity for some lures where you don't want to strike too soon.  Crankbaiters, spinnerbaiters and as you say swimbaits work well on a moderate action rod.  That said, casting isn't as crisp and hook sets are slower as well.  Many guys who use the moderate action rods will use braid to lessen the problems with hook sets.  

There is give and take with rods.  I use fast or extra fast 90% of the time.  I do have a moderate action for throwing deep crankbaits like Mann's 20+.  

You wouldn't want to use a moderate for worm or jig fishing.  I wouldn't use it for anything where you had to strike or react quickly.  There is a time and place for them, but it's a specialty action for certain baits.

Good fishing,

Marc

Fishing

Marc Wisniewski