Fishing/bambo fly rod

somewhere in my attic is  bamboo fly rod in a thin wooden box,, my cousin sent my dad ,, my cuzz was in Korean  war and think he got it while on R&R,last time I saw it was 25 years ago or longer,, the box was falling apart, would it be worth my time to dig it out of the attic, never been used,thanks Larry

Simply put no
Originally sold by the thousands to GIs in a light long box with lures and huge flies from 1946 to the 70s . Mostly considered trinkets by collectors but memorial to GIs , they have little resale or fishing value. I have never seen any written history on them in English except the following.
There is  a book  on Goggle books, with a little history  and a  limited preview: Bamboo In Japan by Nancy Moore Bess
They are probably not even made from Tonkin cane like most vintage bamboo fly rods .
I have cast several and they are terrible fishing tools.

Please provide feedback, nominations are appreciated.

Rich Mac McGaughey

I can answer questions on graphite fly rod building and bamboo rod restoration and making. I can guide people to restorers . I can guide people to rod building components on the internet as well as catalog. I can help them identify and value their bamboo fly rods with a picture .

If you are asking for the id of an old rod

please give a complete description send pictures especially labels or logos with detailed thorough description** to me and a complete including as much the following as you can: Is it? fly or casting rod ? Reel seat is below or above the cork handle ? Check metal for id and patents ? What is it made of; bamboo ( flat sided) fiberglass or graphite ( round)? Weight in oz? What is the diameter of the rod above the cork? Where was it purchased ? What type of metal nickel-silver, tin, or chrome platted brass? A complete description of any logos or labels. Length of rod per section and number of sections. Total rod length.

Please read the following if the rod has either of the following two labels

Montague or H-I (Horrocks-Ibbotson).

They are looked down upon by the collecting community and often they are justified. They were mass produced , rather heavy and very slow. They are not going to resale for very much.

Two books are available at larger libraries to get history and or value:
Antique & Collectable Fishing Rods: Identification & Value Guide Homel, Dan. 1997
Bamboo Rod Restoration Handbook -Michael Sinclair

Commission Sales

Because of my knowledge I can help you sell and get a good price for your vintage bamboo fly rod. email email Mac

I have been restoring bamboo fly rods for 15 years and making graphite for 17 .

website = click home page

**example of a thorough description of a label: The Shakespeare decal is olive green ovals with gold foil banner bearing the word "Shakespeare" in script. The remainder of the of the lettering is block style reading on top Honor Built and on the bottom of oval , Made in USA. The writing is away from the grip.