Fishing/lure identification

Question
old lure
old lure  
As a novice collector for a "Trophy Room" I just finished, I was looking for any info possible on this old lure I've come across. Manufacturer, year, color pattern, name, etc. Thanks so much for your time. My best guess is an old mirrolure or rapala from the 1960's.

Answer
Good evening John, Mark here.

While I love trying to identify old lures and have twenty or thirty that are 75 plus years old, I am far from an expert on their identification.

That said, I know I have seen a bait very similar to this one before. At first glance, I immediately saw your pic (before I even read your question) and as you have speculated, guessed a possible Mirrolure. It is DEFINITELY NOT a Rapala...that is one line of lures I know very well.

If it were a Mirrolure,(which the shape and eyelet placement resembles), I have seen no other models since the company's inception that had: 1- Sunken eyes...all Mirrolures I have seen have elevated eyes, even the original L&S shiners made of walnut. 2- The club, spade or button tail. So unless it was a prototype, limited run or a modified lure, I don't think she is a Mirrolure but then again...

It does look like it is molded plastic with an insert...is that correct? Are the hook eyelets and the tie eyelet screwed in or molded in? Is there a seam on the belly to indicate it coming from a two sided mold? I see what looks like a seam in the midsection that would allow assembly from end to end (this is so on Mirrolures). I also seem to note zinc plating on the hooks that would probably indicate it was intended for saltwater fishing...also the target market for the L&S Lure company.

Since I'm stumped, I would like to give you a contact that may be able to help:

Brian@toughlures.com  Fire him a quick email with the pic attached and give him a shot at it. In the meanwhile, I'm going to search for a vintage Mirrolure catalog or two and see what I come up with as well as some other references not at my disposal (I'm workin right now).

Please feel free to drop me an email as well at mark@thebassinblog.com... we'll figure this thing out...I don't like gettin' stumped!

Thanks for the question- Mark

Fishing

Mark Rimmer