Fishing/true temper gold 63L unispin

Could you tell me what year this rod and reel combo was made and what pound line should I use ?

Hello Keith and thanks for asking...

The Unispin was produced by True Temper of Cleveland Ohio and for its time, was pretty cutting edge...They touted letting "Science" improve your would have been more accurate.

The reel was sold as a system/combo with the rod. The reel is integrated into the rod handle and the release button used to control the line and release the reel for casting, passed through the rod and into the reel. It is now known by most tackle enthusiasts as an "underspin". This was a unique combination of a closed faced spinning reel that was positioned under the rod that had the release of a closed faced casting reel (push button). The guides, as you may have noticed, are just a bit smaller than other spinning rods of it's size but are positioned in the same way. I'm certain that some anglers liked the one step approach to casting this rod and reel when compared to a spinning rod and reel. Just grip the rod, push and hold the button, then cast as you would a spinner. No bale flipping or grabbing and releasing the line...

While I'm uncertain of the actual start and stop of the production of the system by True Temper (formerly Bronson Tackle Company) they were quite common in the mid to late 1960's and I seem to recall them still being available in the early 1970's, available in both left retrieve and right.

Your combo should work very well with 6 to 12 lb monofilament but be certain to thoroughly clean and lubricate the reel before you use her. Place special emphasis on the drag system so you will be able to take full advantage of any line you choose to place on it. I WOULD NOT recommend any of the braids. I am certain they will damage or destroy the line pick-up in the reel.

When I owned my tackle shop, I had the opportunity to sell (used) and repair a few Unispins and have cast them a number of times with a practice plug. I never considered fishing the rod/reel combo because I found it to be a bit too heavy and cumbersome. Honestly, while I'm certain many fish were taken on them, I still feel they were more of a novelty item.

Fortunately, if you decide to keep it as a collectable, many are available on ebay in various states of condition and you'll be able to obtain parts from older, more beat-up reels if necessary.

So Keith, I hope this helps a bit.

Thanks very much for the question.

Get out and go fishing!

- Mark Rimmer  

Mark Rimmer

I have been actively fishing for forty-five years! For nearly 15 of those years I was able to fish nearly 200 days per year. Those wonderful days have left me with a plethora of knowledge to share. I have fished from the Marianas of the Pacific to the quiet tidewaters of Virginia and North Carolina, Antigua the gulf coast of Texas and many places in between. My home waters are those of the west. I am passionate about bass fishing, tournament as well as recreational. In addition, I am well versed in fishing for most other species...(Okay, although interesting, I'm not an expert on British or European style competitive carp fishing...chumming with a slingshot anyone?). I am intimately acquainted with the San Diego County Lakes, Diamond Valley reservoir in Riverside County California and numerous other exciting fishing waters from Texas (Travis County) to the Pacific Coast and south to Cabo San Lucas. I have many years of experience in blue-water as well as inshore angling of all types in Southern California with both artificial and live baits; high country fishing in the Sierra Nevada Mountains of my beloved Golden State with nothing but a backpack and a fly-rod. There are still a lifetime of adventures to undertake, together with my lovely wife, Christine. I am an expert rod smith and have vast experience with both the construction and repair all types of rods including split bamboo (new or vintage) and hickory as well as graphite, boron composites and all types of fiberglass. I spent 20 years in the retail business of which 6 were spent owning and operating a successful tackle shop, specializing in custom rod making, rod and reel repairs and a full scale tackle selection. Uncommon topics I love to discuss: Fisheries Management; Tackle Shop/ retail management; Ethics and responsibilities of anglers; Repair and maintenance of rods/reels; "How to"...any topic in fishing.

I took a few years off,(5 to be exact) from answering questions for but I'm back now! My experience? Forty-Five years of bio-observation, fishing numerous types of waters with virtually every type of tackle: Casting, Fly, Spinning, Offshore/blue-water, Coastal, Surf, Tournaments: ( Bass, Local Saltwater), Alpine lakes/streams, ditches, canals, sloughs, marshes, creeks and swamps; if there is water, I usually throw a cast or two. Tackle Shop ownership and management, Expert Custom Rod Construction and repair (Big-game, Long-range stand-up, Live bait, jig sticks, Casting, Spinning and fly- including split-cane). I have personally constructed over 700 custom rods of all types...nearly half of the rods the shop turned out. I also have performed hundreds of reel repairs of all types- antique to modern. I do not typically offer valuation of tackle. This is very difficult without inspecting the tackle first hand and leaving valuation far to subjective. I will be happy to offer other experts for placing a value on your tackle.

NRA forever...(Gun rights...Guns and fishing rods belong together right?), belonged to BASS for most of my life but keep forgetting to renew. I like Trout Unlimited but again, keep forgetting to renew...gotta more tank of gas and some fresh line...or memberships? Hmmm.

None yet...why aren't they chasing me?

"Roads" Scholar. Life-long independent study of fisheries biology, ichthyology, aquatic/marine biology, ecosystems, angling techniques and observations of animals, fish and humans: both smart guys and knuckleheads.

Self-Proclaimed tackleshop of the year! The California Tackle Box- Oceanside, Ca.

Thousands served!