Fishing/small crack repair

Hello Jack. I have a 12 foot, 2 piece fishing rod. the lower piece tip where you insert the other piece has a quarter inch crack. How do you fix this? Is it okay to reinforce it, or cut it and rewrap it.

Ricky.  You have not given me enough information to completely answer your question.  First I
need to know what the joint is made of.  Is it a metal feral?  Or is it the rod itself where
the tip end piece is shoved into?  If it is an older rod it likely a metal feral. Most of the
old ones had nickel or some other inert metal and would take someone with knowledge to weld
this back.  If your tip piece slips in but is loose you might try winding it with a double
layer of nylon thread wound very tight over the crack. As I try to visualize it I would say
do not cut any part of it. I think I would try wrapping it as a first try. If that does not
work I would try to find an expert on repairing rods if such person exists near you.  If the
company that built the rod still exists contact them and ask for help.

I am sorry I could not be more specific and tell you exactly what to do but I am not really
an expert on rods.  I hope this has been some help with your problem.

Thank you for calling on me to answer your question.

Jack L. Gaither    Lake Seminole, Georgia  

Jack Gaither

PLEASE, PLEASE, READ THE FOLLOWING BEFORE ASKING YOUR QUESTION. THANK YOU. PLEASE, I HAVE BEEN GETTING MANY QUESTIONS ABOUT ANTIQUE RODS, REELS ETC. I hate to refuse questions but I really can not be of help in this. If you have an old rod, reel, lure etc. try contacting the maker if still existing or try antique fishing tackle on the web. I am genuinely sorry that I CAN NOT ANSWER SUCH QUESTIONS. I have been bass, crappie, brim and catfishing for over 70 years. Most of my recent experience has been on the Apalachicola R. in Fl. panhandle, and Lake Seminole. I can answer many questions on places to go and some ideas on tactics especially for largemouth bass in these waters. I can`t tell you what fish will bite but can give some lures and methods that have worked well for me over the last 33 years in this area. I am also well versed on boating safety and small boat handling.

I am not a guide nor a writer or publisher of any magazine on fishing. All of my ideas would come from my experiences and those of fishing partners in local bass clubs in Panama City, Florida or from reading many books and magazine articles over the years.

Basmasters. Past member (25 years) and instructor in boating and navigation classes in the United States Power Squadrons.

ST. Andrew Bay Power Squadron local publication "Stuffing Box"

United States Power Squadrons courses in Piloting and small boat handling, celestial navigation, trouble shooting on outboard engines and other non eletronic equipment in boats.