Fishing/Weight if bamboo fly rod

Question
Mark,
I love the feel of old bamboo fly rods. It makes me feel history.  I have a couple and would like to buy another one. My question is:  How do you determine the weight of line that is appropriate for a bamboo rod?
Thanks,
Mike

Answer
Hello Mike...

I share your appreciation of the split cane rods! They truly are a form of artistic history and a great example of what fine craftsmen can do.

Most of the rods are produced by the maker with a specific line weight in mind. While there is no formula that is published, most craftsmen come up with a blueprint or "cut" that they like or for a given line weight or one in which others have agreed would best facilitate a line.

We are blessed with technologically superior lines when compared to those from the days prior to graphite, boron and fiberglass rods and most are designed for thelight weight materials in use today. That said, a 6 weight double tapered line from, let's say Cortland, may feel very different from one by another manufacturer like Scientific Anglers.

With that, what other rods do you have? Have none of them been marked with the line weight by the crafter? If they are marked, you can compare a few things from them to one that is not marked by:

-The diameter of the butt.
    -The diameter of the tip(s).
    -The length and number of sections in the rod.

So if you have a split cane rod that is marked by the crafter as a 6-7 wt. and the measurements are similar to those of the unmarked rod...it's a good guess that it will handle the same line or range of lines. But remember, if you are fishing a line on the rod that casts well under a variety of conditions and allows for a nice presentation, then the line, leader and tippet you are using is a good combination. The parabolic action of most split cane rods make them very forgiving. And although they are heavy in the hand, they can truly cast a properly matched line with ease and accuracy.

Virtually every professionally crafted and many amateur crafted rods have been marked with the description in black India ink, prior to a finish being placed on the shaft. If any you have are lacking this, it may have simply worn off or been refinished.

To sum things up, I would consider picking up (more like investing in) a nice selection of quality fly lines in different tapers. Then load up the reel you feel fits the rod best and get outside and practice cast to get a good feel for each. So since there are no dyed in the wool formulas, with the exception of personal notes kept by crafter, a little process of elimination will likely be in order.

Mike, I hope this helps out. Get out there and do some fishin'!

Thanks for the question- feel free anytime!

Mark

Fishing

Mark Rimmer