Fishing/Winston Fly Rod

Rod 2
Rod 2  
I just inherited a two fly rods from a rich uncle.  I have no idea what they are worth, although, one of them being a Winston, they are obviously quality.  The Winston is a 1940s era, 9.5 foot, 7&1/8 oz.  It shows wear and is missing an eyelet on the second section and in two places the thread is unraveling around two eyelets.  It has 5402 just below the Winston name on the handle.  I will attach photos if possible.  what is this thing worth??  Should I have it restored or sell it like it is???

Some resource books, that can be found in most libraries.
Price Book:
Antique & Collectible  Fishing Rods: Identification & Value Guide by Homel, Dan. 1997 (2nd edition 2000)
add about 30% for age of book.
Bamboo Rod Restoration Handbook   by Michael Sinclair

Homel doesn't specifically name your model and Sinclair doesn't have Winston.
Homel does give Winston "Lagoon" drift rod 9' with an extra tip, 2 sections the  value of  $60, 235 and $445 for poor, good, and excellent condition respectively.

So you can see that an increase in condition does improve resale prices. But that is if and only if the restorer does a good job. ( I am out of the business- retired to traveling) One way to know if the person has decent skills is ask them how they preserve model numbers and labels.

Please provide feedback, nominations are appreciated.  

Rich Mac McGaughey

I can answer questions on graphite fly rod building and bamboo rod restoration and making. I can guide people to restorers . I can guide people to rod building components on the internet as well as catalog. I can help them identify and value their bamboo fly rods with a picture .

If you are asking for the id of an old rod

please give a complete description send pictures especially labels or logos with detailed thorough description** to me and a complete including as much the following as you can: Is it? fly or casting rod ? Reel seat is below or above the cork handle ? Check metal for id and patents ? What is it made of; bamboo ( flat sided) fiberglass or graphite ( round)? Weight in oz? What is the diameter of the rod above the cork? Where was it purchased ? What type of metal nickel-silver, tin, or chrome platted brass? A complete description of any logos or labels. Length of rod per section and number of sections. Total rod length.

Please read the following if the rod has either of the following two labels

Montague or H-I (Horrocks-Ibbotson).

They are looked down upon by the collecting community and often they are justified. They were mass produced , rather heavy and very slow. They are not going to resale for very much.

Two books are available at larger libraries to get history and or value:
Antique & Collectable Fishing Rods: Identification & Value Guide Homel, Dan. 1997
Bamboo Rod Restoration Handbook -Michael Sinclair

Commission Sales

Because of my knowledge I can help you sell and get a good price for your vintage bamboo fly rod. email email Mac

I have been restoring bamboo fly rods for 15 years and making graphite for 17 .

website = click home page

**example of a thorough description of a label: The Shakespeare decal is olive green ovals with gold foil banner bearing the word "Shakespeare" in script. The remainder of the of the lettering is block style reading on top Honor Built and on the bottom of oval , Made in USA. The writing is away from the grip.