Fishing/Casting wheel problem & pond fishing advise

reel /caster
reel /caster  
I have a casting reel that I am unsure IF I can and HOW I can repair. Line broke while I was reeling it in, and it got pulled too far into the reel. Since then I've removed the shell/casing on the reel and have been scratching My head at how to fix things.
Am I over-thinking this?
Is the fix as simple as threading the line back through the hole on the upper casing?
Also, I fish at the small lake/pond behind my home. The max depth is reportedly 3.5 to 4 foot. It's rich with minnows and small brim. I've caught panfish such as blue gill numerous times, got a 14 or so inch catfish to shoreline but it escaped before I could net it, there's also reportedly brown bass.
What tips do have to share about fishing here? Best places to cast and how deep. What type of bait etc. Thanks

Hello, how are you you? I hope you are doing well, and thank you for the question. Yes, it's easy to fix, just thread the line through the casing and you're good!A small pond can harbor some giant fish. It depends on what type of fish you are targeting.  For bass, just keep it simple, Texas rigged worm, weightless plastics, and topwater baits should work just fine. I hope this helps, if you need more help, please feel free to drop me another question. Thanks, and good luck.  

Timothy Howard

I'm willing and able to answer most questions regarding northern pike and bass. I can advise on specific rods, reels, lures and fishing line for specific fishing techniques. Also, I know alot about fishing in smaller waters and can give expert answers on optimal fishing weather conditions.

I have over 20 years of experience fishing for northern pike and bass. I don't have any published articles but have several trophy fish mounted on my wall. Also, I'm very methodical in my fishing and spend countless hours researching new and innovative techniques. I have an extensive fish research library.

BASS Membership

I have taken some classes at Lansing Community College, Michigan.

Several trophy bass and pike mounts

I'm currently not working as a fishing guide, but plan to in the future.