Fishing/Vintage Hardy bamboo fly rod

Hi Mac
I have a 3 piece, 9' 0"  long rod of bamboo construction with a spare tip section. The reel seat, at the butt end, is inscribed with the serial no. E52273. The reel retaining threaded ferrule bears the inscription Brit. Reg'd No. 807656 and I.F.S. No. D 1058 together with the Royal and Prince of Wales crests and the inscription By Appointment.  In addition the butt section, adjacent to the grip bears the following, hand written black ink legend: The No. 2 Jubilee Rod Palakona Regd Trade Mark
In 1991 This information was sent by mail  to House of Hardy Alnwick, England. I received the following reply from a Mr. James Hardy:  "Rod No. E52273 was made in late 1938. The Jubilee rods were never catalogued, but we're manufactured from 1936 to 1938, in four lengths:". The letter states there were only 3 of the 9'' 0" Jubilee rods manufactured in 1938. They were made to commemorate the Silver Anniversary of King George V in 1935.
The rod shows wear and probably needs some restoration, but I believe in fairly good shape. With the info I have given, do you believe it would be worth my while to pursue having it restored?
Thank you in advance,

You are asking a Western US bamboo guy about a UK rod. That means you should find someone in England to get the full amount that you can.
In fact to really get a price on a restored verses old rod you should be looking at ebay.UK
Price Book:
Antique & Collectible  Fishing Rods: Identification & Value Guide by Homel, Dan. 1997 (2nd edition 2000) add about 30% for age of book.
Homel gives the Hardy 8  model "Palakona Deluxe" trout fly rod(c 1935) with an extra tip, 3 sections the  value of  $95, 200 and $395 for poor, good, and excellent condition respectively.

A 9 footer is less valuable than shorter rods.

From where I sit you might  get $200 for the rod as it is now. A good restore is roughly 150. It might sell for 400 when restored. I say no to restore, but I think it is too close but I am leaving this decision to you. Hope that helps.
Please provide feedback, nominations are appreciated.

Rich Mac McGaughey

I can answer questions on graphite fly rod building and bamboo rod restoration and making. I can guide people to restorers . I can guide people to rod building components on the internet as well as catalog. I can help them identify and value their bamboo fly rods with a picture .

If you are asking for the id of an old rod

please give a complete description send pictures especially labels or logos with detailed thorough description** to me and a complete including as much the following as you can: Is it? fly or casting rod ? Reel seat is below or above the cork handle ? Check metal for id and patents ? What is it made of; bamboo ( flat sided) fiberglass or graphite ( round)? Weight in oz? What is the diameter of the rod above the cork? Where was it purchased ? What type of metal nickel-silver, tin, or chrome platted brass? A complete description of any logos or labels. Length of rod per section and number of sections. Total rod length.

Please read the following if the rod has either of the following two labels

Montague or H-I (Horrocks-Ibbotson).

They are looked down upon by the collecting community and often they are justified. They were mass produced , rather heavy and very slow. They are not going to resale for very much.

Two books are available at larger libraries to get history and or value:
Antique & Collectable Fishing Rods: Identification & Value Guide Homel, Dan. 1997
Bamboo Rod Restoration Handbook -Michael Sinclair

Commission Sales

Because of my knowledge I can help you sell and get a good price for your vintage bamboo fly rod. email email Mac

I have been restoring bamboo fly rods for 15 years and making graphite for 17 .

website = click home page

**example of a thorough description of a label: The Shakespeare decal is olive green ovals with gold foil banner bearing the word "Shakespeare" in script. The remainder of the of the lettering is block style reading on top Honor Built and on the bottom of oval , Made in USA. The writing is away from the grip.