Fishing/crappie fishing

Im from Ohio and wondering if crappie fishing was any good this time of year last of jan. first of feb.. also like to know about water clarity and water temp and how deep to fish Thanks Bruce5pxv5

Bruce. I am sorry that I have not answered your question. I spent the month of January
in the hospital and  I was pretty sick. My computer quit and I did not have one until
about two weeks ago.  This means that your question is dated but I will try giving you
a little about crappie fishing.

First crappie will  usually bite anytime you can find them.  Up north where the lakes
freeze over crappie can be caught through the ice.  The biggest  problem is finding
these fish.  The   run in schools and move around a great deal. They will be bunched
up around a fallen tree or around most any kind of cover.  They will feed most times
when there is a low light condition.  Just before dark or on an overcast;  I have
caught them in the rain.   

I have caught crappie in very clear water and other times when the water was not
clear. But Never have caught them in extremely muddy water

Crappie can be very shallow especially at spanning season. Often they will get up
so close to the lake shore or by a seawall or rip rap where the water is so shallow
you may be able to see their fins stick above the water. After spawning they then
go back to cruising around in the lake looking  for minnows and they me near the
surface or down 50 feet but usually directly on the bottom.  Since my lake does
not have 50 feet anywhere   Around here people use a fishing pole with the line
just about same as length of pole.  The fisherman starts out placing  bobber
rather deep and moves around the area.  Sometimes he has two poles one shallow
maybe two feet deep on one pole and shallow on the other. He then dips one line
into the water  then moves the other around. IN and out, in and out as he moves
slowly.  If no bites he moves the deep one a bit shallower.  HE keeps up and when
he gets a bite he marks the spot on his GPS or uses other method of marking the spot.

If you finally find a school of crappie they may bite fast and furious then suddenly
they stop. No they do not stop they have just moved away from that spot so the
dipping begins again.  You might find the same school but more than likely you
find a different school.

Minnows are the most common bait but after a while you may want to use artificial
baits. There are thousands of these in most tackle store. There are so many
colors one does not know what to choose. In my lake I have found that white and
green seem to be the best. These will not necessarily be the right colors for
you.  using a spinning rod cast the lure out let is sink for a second or two.
then start reeling in very slow, agonizing slow.  Don't give too much action
to the lure but a tiny jiggle of your rod tip may not hurt.

I think that is about all I know about crappie fishing.

Again I am  sorry it took so long to answer.

Jack Gaither

PLEASE, PLEASE, READ THE FOLLOWING BEFORE ASKING YOUR QUESTION. THANK YOU. PLEASE, I HAVE BEEN GETTING MANY QUESTIONS ABOUT ANTIQUE RODS, REELS ETC. I hate to refuse questions but I really can not be of help in this. If you have an old rod, reel, lure etc. try contacting the maker if still existing or try antique fishing tackle on the web. I am genuinely sorry that I CAN NOT ANSWER SUCH QUESTIONS. I have been bass, crappie, brim and catfishing for over 70 years. Most of my recent experience has been on the Apalachicola R. in Fl. panhandle, and Lake Seminole. I can answer many questions on places to go and some ideas on tactics especially for largemouth bass in these waters. I can`t tell you what fish will bite but can give some lures and methods that have worked well for me over the last 33 years in this area. I am also well versed on boating safety and small boat handling.

I am not a guide nor a writer or publisher of any magazine on fishing. All of my ideas would come from my experiences and those of fishing partners in local bass clubs in Panama City, Florida or from reading many books and magazine articles over the years.

Basmasters. Past member (25 years) and instructor in boating and navigation classes in the United States Power Squadrons.

ST. Andrew Bay Power Squadron local publication "Stuffing Box"

United States Power Squadrons courses in Piloting and small boat handling, celestial navigation, trouble shooting on outboard engines and other non eletronic equipment in boats.