Fishing/True Temper Fly Rod

Question
I have a True Temper "Custom Built Eight Hundred" Model 805, 8 1/2', 2-piece, fiberglass fly rod that belonged to my grandfather.  I am trying to find out the proper fly line for this rod.  One person said it was a 5 weight and another said it was an 8.
In addition there is an L & S Mfg. Co., "Vernon Deluxe" reel with the rod that would like information on.
Many thanks.

Answer
Hello Eric,

Thanks for the question.

As you know from reading my bio, my expertise is not in historical reference of vintage products but in their repair and refurbishment. But hey I know a bit about the fishin' tackle biz and I'm up for the challenge.

First off, True Temper produced fiberglass fly rods from the early 1950's on for the remainder of their history in the fishing tackle business. Considered somewhat heavy in the hand, they were a popular and inexpensive rod to introduce anglers to fiberglass (they specialized in steel shafts including hollow steel fly rods). Many, many were sold and some of the "professional" models are used and lightly collected by fiberglass aficionados. The line weights were not readily distinguished on most models although they may be noted in the catalogs. The rod is in my opinion a 7 or 8 weight and likely considered a combination rod for use with either.

I do not currently have a True Temper Catalog but I'm checking with some buddies as well as the open market for as many as I can find inexpensively as reference, to better answer future questions.

I was hard pressed to find out anything more than you already know about your Vernon reel. I did see some references to the  L&S name being Lake and Stream Manufacturing Company but can find no record of it in New York. I did see one recently sold online and the pics showed fly line on the reel that dated from the late 1930's through the mid 1950's.

If you can provide some HD jpeg images of the rod (butt, handle, ferrules, guides and reel seat) and reel, including all writing and numbers I will continue to do some additional research. Just attach them as a follow-up question and I will do my best for you.

Thanks again for the opportunity!

-Mark

Fishing

Mark Rimmer