Fishing/Bronson 63 issue

QUESTION: I have 2 reels. One is Bronson 63 and the other a Tru Tempur 63 and they look identical. Both have the same problem. When I release the button on the rod, the line does not release.
I am not sure if I put it back together incorrectly or that both reels need a part replaced. Seems unlikely the same part would go bad in both reels but maybe.
Can you offer any suggestions? I noticed you did some reel repair in the past.

ANSWER: High Jim...good question.

The reel is known as the is in a small group of reels known as under-spins.

In actuality, the reel works just like other closed faced reels. You push the button on the handle, it cantilevers an armature to the spool or bobbin, pinches the line against the spool cover and simultaneously one or two line catching pins retract into the spool and stay there until you cast and or release the button and turn the reel handle. They then engage the line (as long as it is under a small amount of tension) and guide it back onto the reel spool.

First, try to pinch the line with two fingers to create some tension...perhaps gently pulling line from the reel as you turn and then attempt to reel in the line. If that fails, open the spool cover and watch closely as you push the button to see if the pick-up pin or pins retract, then pop back out again when you turn the crank. If this fails, I'd have to see the reel to diagnose her. The pick-ups or their springs may be stuck or broken. (WD40 works great to break up old grease and grime).

If you do need to get her fixed, any reputable shop should offer reel repair and I believe Bass Pro Shops may be able to assist with the vintage reel you own.

I hope that helps a bit. If not, feel free to send me a follow-up or new question...I'll help any way I can!

Thanks for the great question-

QUESTION: After receiving your answer I took a closer look. The line retrieves fine during cranking, the problem is that when the button is released, the pick up pins do not retract. If I pull the spool towards the tip of the rod, the pins do indeed retract but this does not happen without me physically putting forward pressure on the spool. Seems that when the button is pressed it pushes the pickup spool forward but either not enough or something is preventing the spool from locking in place so the pins can retract when the button is released.
Anyway, thanks for your suggestions. I will attempt to clean it all up to remove grime and if that fails will take to Bass Pro for potential repair.
Thanks for your assistance.

It does indeed sound like it is simply gummed up. I think once you give her a good cleaning, the pick up pins will stay retracted when the lever is depressed with the reel fully assembled.

WD40 will clean very well and if in a flowing state on the parts, you can rinse them clean with warm water. WD40 will also remove any "good" lubrication so be certain to use a good lube like Tri-Flow or Break Free (Both are TFE lubes)after cleaning with the WD40.

Glad to be of service.

Mark Rimmer

I have been actively fishing for forty-five years! For nearly 15 of those years I was able to fish nearly 200 days per year. Those wonderful days have left me with a plethora of knowledge to share. I have fished from the Marianas of the Pacific to the quiet tidewaters of Virginia and North Carolina, Antigua the gulf coast of Texas and many places in between. My home waters are those of the west. I am passionate about bass fishing, tournament as well as recreational. In addition, I am well versed in fishing for most other species...(Okay, although interesting, I'm not an expert on British or European style competitive carp fishing...chumming with a slingshot anyone?). I am intimately acquainted with the San Diego County Lakes, Diamond Valley reservoir in Riverside County California and numerous other exciting fishing waters from Texas (Travis County) to the Pacific Coast and south to Cabo San Lucas. I have many years of experience in blue-water as well as inshore angling of all types in Southern California with both artificial and live baits; high country fishing in the Sierra Nevada Mountains of my beloved Golden State with nothing but a backpack and a fly-rod. There are still a lifetime of adventures to undertake, together with my lovely wife, Christine. I am an expert rod smith and have vast experience with both the construction and repair all types of rods including split bamboo (new or vintage) and hickory as well as graphite, boron composites and all types of fiberglass. I spent 20 years in the retail business of which 6 were spent owning and operating a successful tackle shop, specializing in custom rod making, rod and reel repairs and a full scale tackle selection. Uncommon topics I love to discuss: Fisheries Management; Tackle Shop/ retail management; Ethics and responsibilities of anglers; Repair and maintenance of rods/reels; "How to"...any topic in fishing.

I took a few years off,(5 to be exact) from answering questions for but I'm back now! My experience? Forty-Five years of bio-observation, fishing numerous types of waters with virtually every type of tackle: Casting, Fly, Spinning, Offshore/blue-water, Coastal, Surf, Tournaments: ( Bass, Local Saltwater), Alpine lakes/streams, ditches, canals, sloughs, marshes, creeks and swamps; if there is water, I usually throw a cast or two. Tackle Shop ownership and management, Expert Custom Rod Construction and repair (Big-game, Long-range stand-up, Live bait, jig sticks, Casting, Spinning and fly- including split-cane). I have personally constructed over 700 custom rods of all types...nearly half of the rods the shop turned out. I also have performed hundreds of reel repairs of all types- antique to modern. I do not typically offer valuation of tackle. This is very difficult without inspecting the tackle first hand and leaving valuation far to subjective. I will be happy to offer other experts for placing a value on your tackle.

NRA forever...(Gun rights...Guns and fishing rods belong together right?), belonged to BASS for most of my life but keep forgetting to renew. I like Trout Unlimited but again, keep forgetting to renew...gotta more tank of gas and some fresh line...or memberships? Hmmm.

None yet...why aren't they chasing me?

"Roads" Scholar. Life-long independent study of fisheries biology, ichthyology, aquatic/marine biology, ecosystems, angling techniques and observations of animals, fish and humans: both smart guys and knuckleheads.

Self-Proclaimed tackleshop of the year! The California Tackle Box- Oceanside, Ca.

Thousands served!