Fishing/Ray Scott Pro Model

Question
Mark ; I saw a photo of a Ray Scott Pro Model fishing rod . It shows it in 2 pieses. The handel & the rod .  Looks like the rod goes in the handle. Is this how it goes? My nexy question is the handle avaible ? I have the rod but not the handel.The rod is in great shape. Thanks for taking the time to read my question. Waiting to here for you.
         Thanks again
         Charles

Answer
Hello Charles!

Forgive the delay in answering your question. All work and no play...

Wow, I never thought I'd even hear about that model of a fishing rod...except out of my own mouth! In 1976 or '77, I bought my first baitcaster...a Ray Scott Pro Model and an ABU 5500C. I caught hundreds of bass on that old rod and reel and even a 20lb. Yellowtail in the kelp beds off Solana Beach California! I retired her a number of years later but still have the reel.

The rod is not actually a two-piece set up but the handle was designed to be detached with a bit of effort. (It snapped together and the gnurled "foregrip" had an 'O'-ring at the butt end to keep it snug). It was made by a new company from Japan...Fuji...who now dominates the higher end component market...(Korean and Chinese competitors copied many of their designs). I owned the pistol grip with the cork handle for sensitivity and after that, lived to own the contoured pistol grip that the rod was also available in. She had the latest and greatest "Aluminum Oxide" guides with stainless frames and they lived up to their expectations of lower friction and no grooving from fishing line.

I'm sorry to say I never did purchase another Ray Scott rod. They were well marketed through BASS's retail operation known as "The Outhouse" but soon there after, a start-up company by Johnny Morris took over the bass fishing world and later, nearly took over the entire retail fishing world...yep, Bass Pro Shops.(OK, I know if you are a fan of Cabela's or Gander Mountain you'll certainly be open to debate that...but they sure are successful...I'd hoped at one time to be their only competition). The rods were composed of the latest fiberglass composites and really were great quality for their time....I believe BASS got out of the retail business and I'm not certain if The Outhouse was purchased by a competitor or just faded away...that would be an interesting thing to research.

So if you have one and you want to fish it, just make sure the rod is not cracked and the aluminum oxide rings have no chips or hair-line cracks either (they will shred your line). You can check the guides by running a strip of ladies panty-hose nylon over and through them...a snag would indicate a crack or chip. The guides, while no longer produced by Fuji, are produced by Pac Bay and are perfect knock-offs with the style number STG...they have a titanium oxide ring and a black shock ring but should match the guides on the Pro Model pretty close to exactly.

I might have the original handle somewhere but chances are my ex-wife sold it with the rod before I could get it out of my garage some 20 odd years ago...eghh... but, a slightly more modern pistol grip by Fuji is available online right now on Ebay through seller mjc1231...he has two graphite filled fuji seats that will require you to remove the seat insert (butt ferrule)from your rod and then use some rod cement to put the new butt ferrule (much smaller than the original) on so it will then tighten into the new pistol grip. Do that, and you'll be in business! That will make your rod cost about twice as much as the original but you'll be able to fish the heck out of it....it should make a VERY good short rod (5'6" with the handle) for throwing spinnerbaits with incredible accuracy and wrestle any stubborn bass out of cover.

Well Charles, I hope that helps you out a bit.

Let me know if you need any additional help or guidance with the repair!

Thanks for the question!

-Mark

Fishing

Mark Rimmer