Fishing/rice pack bait

how can you make a rice pack bait without using ketchup?

Hey ya David,

Thanks for the question.

As you may well know, perhaps even more so than I, carp fishing techniques are virtually unlimited and pack bait recipes are as well.

When you ask "how" can you make a pack bait without ketchup (Catsup) for the yankees out there...the quick answer would be...don't put it in! But lots of folks use it and it obviously works. So I say to decide "if" you need it, we need to ask "why" do folks use it?

First, it could be the scent, it could be the color (do carp have rods and cones in there eyeballs to see color?...hmm, I'd have to research that one...) But it seems to me that people forget just how sensitive the sense of "taste" in most fish, via "smell" (it can be far more technical than that, I know), really is. Most fish "smell" in at least, the parts per million range and even perhaps in the parts per billion range. (1 part smell to one million or billion parts water). That tells me that carp, known for their ability to detect the faintest of scents may be zeroing in on any number of the actual ingredients in ketchup.

I have mixed dough with vanilla, garlic, cotton batting (to keep it on the hook) and caught a few and know folks that have "secret" carp recipes with hundreds of ingredients.

One thing I can assure you the ketchup does, is to help bind whatever other ingredients you add to hold the pack together and/or control the's sticky and can be absorbed into the flour or rice or corn mush or whatever other chum you add to the recipe.

So how do you make a pack bait without ketchup? "Don't put it in" really is the best answer. But be certain to substitute something like a bit of corn syrup, molasses, maple syrup or any number of other binders. You could use egg whites or gelatin or you could get the gluten (that so many folks are scared of eating) going in a good wheat based dough and then add some of the other ingredients found in ketchup 'til you find the "one" that nobody else has figured out...heck then you could make thousands of bucks with "Dave's super secret carp slayin' pack bait!

Experiment and have fun! That's what fishing is all about!

Best of luck to ya!

P.S. I plan on doin' my carp fishin' this year with a bow...kinda like cheatin' but it is fun in its' own right....

Mark Rimmer

I have been actively fishing for forty-five years! For nearly 15 of those years I was able to fish nearly 200 days per year. Those wonderful days have left me with a plethora of knowledge to share. I have fished from the Marianas of the Pacific to the quiet tidewaters of Virginia and North Carolina, Antigua the gulf coast of Texas and many places in between. My home waters are those of the west. I am passionate about bass fishing, tournament as well as recreational. In addition, I am well versed in fishing for most other species...(Okay, although interesting, I'm not an expert on British or European style competitive carp fishing...chumming with a slingshot anyone?). I am intimately acquainted with the San Diego County Lakes, Diamond Valley reservoir in Riverside County California and numerous other exciting fishing waters from Texas (Travis County) to the Pacific Coast and south to Cabo San Lucas. I have many years of experience in blue-water as well as inshore angling of all types in Southern California with both artificial and live baits; high country fishing in the Sierra Nevada Mountains of my beloved Golden State with nothing but a backpack and a fly-rod. There are still a lifetime of adventures to undertake, together with my lovely wife, Christine. I am an expert rod smith and have vast experience with both the construction and repair all types of rods including split bamboo (new or vintage) and hickory as well as graphite, boron composites and all types of fiberglass. I spent 20 years in the retail business of which 6 were spent owning and operating a successful tackle shop, specializing in custom rod making, rod and reel repairs and a full scale tackle selection. Uncommon topics I love to discuss: Fisheries Management; Tackle Shop/ retail management; Ethics and responsibilities of anglers; Repair and maintenance of rods/reels; "How to"...any topic in fishing.

I took a few years off,(5 to be exact) from answering questions for but I'm back now! My experience? Forty-Five years of bio-observation, fishing numerous types of waters with virtually every type of tackle: Casting, Fly, Spinning, Offshore/blue-water, Coastal, Surf, Tournaments: ( Bass, Local Saltwater), Alpine lakes/streams, ditches, canals, sloughs, marshes, creeks and swamps; if there is water, I usually throw a cast or two. Tackle Shop ownership and management, Expert Custom Rod Construction and repair (Big-game, Long-range stand-up, Live bait, jig sticks, Casting, Spinning and fly- including split-cane). I have personally constructed over 700 custom rods of all types...nearly half of the rods the shop turned out. I also have performed hundreds of reel repairs of all types- antique to modern. I do not typically offer valuation of tackle. This is very difficult without inspecting the tackle first hand and leaving valuation far to subjective. I will be happy to offer other experts for placing a value on your tackle.

NRA forever...(Gun rights...Guns and fishing rods belong together right?), belonged to BASS for most of my life but keep forgetting to renew. I like Trout Unlimited but again, keep forgetting to renew...gotta more tank of gas and some fresh line...or memberships? Hmmm.

None yet...why aren't they chasing me?

"Roads" Scholar. Life-long independent study of fisheries biology, ichthyology, aquatic/marine biology, ecosystems, angling techniques and observations of animals, fish and humans: both smart guys and knuckleheads.

Self-Proclaimed tackleshop of the year! The California Tackle Box- Oceanside, Ca.

Thousands served!