Fishing/Fly Rod ID and appraisal

img 566
img 566  

img 563
img 563  
At an estate sale I found a 4 piece fly rod.  I'm not sure if it's bamboo or fiberglass.  It's hexagonal in shape and each piece is 3 feet long.  When putting it together it seems you can make it a 6 foot rod or a 9 foot rod.  The logo is worn off for the most part.

I can tell by the poor quality of metal and it's not Tonkin Cane , your rod is Japanese. I have seen the same configuration 9 ft fly , 6 ft cast rod switch, before.
I don't know how old you are but when I was a kid in the 50s Japanese made trinkets to survive . Made in Japan was synonymous with junk. Originally sold by the thousands to GIs in a light long box with lures and huge flies . Mostly consider trinkets by collectors and memorial to GIs , they have little resale or fishing value. I have never seen any written history on them in English. It is not the bamboo, that good rods were made from and the components are tin or aluminum instead of nickel silver or even chrome platted brass.  I have cast them numerous times and they are not even good fishing tools.
Nominations are appreciated
Good Luck

Rich Mac McGaughey

I can answer questions on graphite fly rod building and bamboo rod restoration and making. I can guide people to restorers . I can guide people to rod building components on the internet as well as catalog. I can help them identify and value their bamboo fly rods with a picture .

If you are asking for the id of an old rod

please give a complete description send pictures especially labels or logos with detailed thorough description** to me and a complete including as much the following as you can: Is it? fly or casting rod ? Reel seat is below or above the cork handle ? Check metal for id and patents ? What is it made of; bamboo ( flat sided) fiberglass or graphite ( round)? Weight in oz? What is the diameter of the rod above the cork? Where was it purchased ? What type of metal nickel-silver, tin, or chrome platted brass? A complete description of any logos or labels. Length of rod per section and number of sections. Total rod length.

Please read the following if the rod has either of the following two labels

Montague or H-I (Horrocks-Ibbotson).

They are looked down upon by the collecting community and often they are justified. They were mass produced , rather heavy and very slow. They are not going to resale for very much.

Two books are available at larger libraries to get history and or value:
Antique & Collectable Fishing Rods: Identification & Value Guide Homel, Dan. 1997
Bamboo Rod Restoration Handbook -Michael Sinclair

Commission Sales

Because of my knowledge I can help you sell and get a good price for your vintage bamboo fly rod. email email Mac

I have been restoring bamboo fly rods for 15 years and making graphite for 17 .

website = click home page

**example of a thorough description of a label: The Shakespeare decal is olive green ovals with gold foil banner bearing the word "Shakespeare" in script. The remainder of the of the lettering is block style reading on top Honor Built and on the bottom of oval , Made in USA. The writing is away from the grip.