Fishing/Heddon fly rod

Question
I was hoping you might help me identify a fly rod that I have received from my Father in-law. What I do know is that it is a Heddon # 8-9'2 1/2
F - HCH or D . But I'm not able to find any other information than that.
Was the rod made for Sears? What's the number 8 stand for and the F-HCH or D
thank you for any help
Bob

Answer
Bob,
You have a Heddon which is a decent rod.
Yes the Heddon line was sold at Sears but also at other locations.
When the label is on the flats instead of across them, it is dated to 1954.

Antique & Collectable Fishing Rods: Identification & Value Guide Homel, Dan. 1997 (2nd edition 2000) gives the value for the 9 foot model #8,  heavy trout fly rod , 3 piece, with an extra tip valued at  $40, 100 and $190 for poor, good, excellent condition respectively. You could add 30% due to age of book. If presented properly you could get more. WIth tube and cloth bag maybe $300.

2 1/2 F is the butt ferrule size:
The butt ferrule size is designated by "2F" or "2 F". The larger the number, the stiffer the rod. For three- piece rods, a 2F is usually a trout rod and 2 F is a bass rod. Yours is a bass slower action fly rod.

HCH to  or D is line size equivalent to modern 6 weight.

History  of Heddon Rod Company
http://www.macsrods.com/JamesHeddon.htm

Luck,
Mac

Please provide feedback, nominations are appreciated.  

Fishing

Rich Mac McGaughey