Fishing/Sewell N Dulton and Son

Question
QUESTION: Rich, I have an angler's Choice split-bamboo rod No. 253 that is in mint/unused condition. Can you give me some idea of it's value? Thanks, jack

ANSWER: Jack,
You did not mention length, type of rod (fly or cast) So here's some general information:
According to Antique & Collectable Fishing Rods: Identification & Value Guide Homel, Dan. 1997: There was a Model 152  and 158  as well as "Angler's Choice". There were 7' , 8' and 8 1/2 ' respectively.   The number rods were 2 sections with 2 tips while the Anglers Choice was 3 sections with 2 tips.
Rod Model     Poor-Fair    good-vg      ex-mint Prices   
  152          50          165          325
  158          40          135          275
Anglers Choice    30          95          195
Odds are very good your rod is not excellent mint.
Your rod was not superficially mentioned in Bamboo Rod Restoration Handbook by Michael Sinclair.
Sorry no history on these boys.
Good Luck
Rich Mac

From other sources
The Sewell N. Dunton & Son Rod Co was established when Sewell N. Dunton assisted in the foreclosure of what was the Montague Rod Co. Sewell N. Dunton purchased machinery, bamboo stocks, which included partially finished rods, components etc. and moved the new company to Greenfield MA.

While Sewell never built rods himself, his son, Sewell N. Dunton Jr, did as well as several other builders Sewell hired from the now defunct Montague. Rods at Duntons were marked as Sewell N. Dunton INC (usually those made from blanks that existed from Montague and several other makers who Sewell purchased stocks from) and the Anglers Choice Rods which varied in their fittings, top grades often used Super Z ferrules and excellent components that rivaled the best rods of the day.

QUESTION: It is a casting rod, around 51/2 ft, 2 section,numbered 253. As to condition, there is no indication that it has ever been used and looks original, brand new.

Answer
I doubt if it is worth $50 - casting rods just aren't collected.
So the finish is smooth through the rod when you run a finger on it. The cork is light colored - not many colors. The threads are all cemented down with finish?
Sorry  you should see what people tell me is mint condition.

Fishing

Rich Mac McGaughey