Fishing/Catch More Fish Trout

Question
I received a Shakespeare Catch More Fish Trout Spinning Combo as a gift, it has light power and is 6'6" in length. I am fairly new to fishing and I'm not interested in tackling trout at the moment. I am mainly used to fishing in lakes and ponds, are there other kinds of fish that this combo for in a pond/lake situation?

Thanks

Answer
Hi and thank you for your question! I hope you had a great Monday, and a wonderful Easter weekend. Absolutely! That outfit, you can fish for a variety of species, other than trout if you desire. This light of a outfit, you can fish for crappie, bluegill, largemouth bass and smallmouth bass.Fishing for bass would be really fun with a rod and reel that light. Just remember to fish the heaviest line you can get away with on a rod and reel that light. Bass put up a very big fight. Bluegill and Crappie can put quite a bend in a rod too. A good line that's tough and can take on anything those fish can dish out would be 8 to 10 lb test flurocarbon. This line is very tough and the fish have a harder time seeing it due to it being virtually invisible. I hope this helps you out some. If you need further details on what you may need to fish for bass or bluegill, please send me another question, and I will do the best I can to help you out. Tight lines, and enjoy this sport!
God bless!  

Fishing

Timothy Howard